• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Joseph Wilkinson Lamp manufacturer

TKM

Brummie babby
Hello
i have found my maternal great grandfather Joseph Wilkinson on the 1911 census and he lists himself as a ships lamp manufacturer/employer. Would anyone know how i would locate this business--
Any help would be appreciated
Terry

In the 1910 directory there is the following
Wilkinson Jsph, ship lamps manufr see Bocock & Wilkinson

under that heading there is a
Bocock & Wilkinson ships lamps manufactures 17 & 18 Mott St T A "seahorse" T N 2,286 Central

Hello
i have found my maternal great grandfather Joseph Wilkinson on the 1911 census and he lists himself as a ships lamp manufacturer/employer. Would anyone know how i would locate this business--
Any help would be appreciated
Terry

Hi Terry, Welcome to our friendly forum.

I wonder if this is your relative in earlier years?

In the Birmingham Daily Post I found the following adverts for Bocock and Wilkinson
26 December 1889 - advert for Bocock and Wilkinson Electroplate Manufacturers 123, Great Hampton Street, Birmingham
5 December 1895 - advert for sale of stock of Eletro-plated ware from the late firm of F.T Marrian established 1832 by their successors Messrs Bocock and Wilkinson (I posted this advert is in two parts)

Also 19 May 1892 Bocock and Wilkinson giving 14s to Hospital Saturday (not pictured as it was just their name on a very long list of names)

Hopefully they are the same firm and are of interest to you (if you click on them they enlarge)
Polly :adoration:

Attachments

• bocock_and_wilkinson_dec_26_1889.JPG
    bocock_and_wilkinson_dec_26_1889.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 20
  • bocock_and_wilkinson_dec_5_1895.JPG
    bocock_and_wilkinson_dec_5_1895.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 23
  • bocock_and_wilkinson_dec_5_1895_part_2.JPG
    bocock_and_wilkinson_dec_5_1895_part_2.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 22
Polly : Yes that's our guy ,in earlier census he is listed as a electroplater, very interesting . I rattled around for months trying to find his business ,found this form and had the answer within minutes--thanks again
Terry

Birmingham Library will have a number of directory's you can follow a firms start to to it demise sadly the last kelly,s directory was published in 1974 the home phone was one of the reason that contributed to is demise, failing that there was a company who has copied a number of directory's onto CD,S I do not know if it still exists hope this helps

Wow -fast reply and thank-you horsencart--where would i find the 1910 directory
Terry

The 1910 Birmingham directory (and others) is available on CD from Midland Historical data at https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/Booksbrowse.aspx?pg=17&ct=All&ct2=Directories#anchorM0613.

Listings for Bocock & Wilkinson from directories are below

Remember that the date of the directory is the publication date and information probably refers to a year or so earlier
Presumably the 1889 directory had an entry, but I do not have access to that one.
1890-1900 Bocock & Wilkinson, electroplate ware manufacturers 123 Gt Hampton St
(1892-1900 Joseph Wilkinson also referenced saying electroplate ware manufacturer see Bocock & Wilkinson)

1903-1908 Bocock & Wilkinson, ships lamp manufacturers, 123 Gt Hampton St
1910-1915 Bocock & Wilkinson, ships lamp manufacturers, 17-18 Mott St

(1903-1915 Joseph Wilkinson also referenced saying ships lamp manufacturer, see Bocock & Wilkinson)
1921 George Bocock & Co. ship's lamps manufacturers, 17 & 18 Mott street.
(Joseph not listed in 1921)

Mike
thank-you for your work--Joseph had four sons none of which entered the business I presume he sold the business and retired My grandfather was the eldest of the sons and he packed up when he was 12 to see the world The rest of the family remains in the shadows after 1911 The 21 census should enlighten me further ,i hope as much as to-day I will investigate the CD--i wonder if the CD works on North American systems
Terry

hi there
there was a george wilkingsons whom was a fancy goods seller of all the items and manufacturing of items you have mentionioned
he lived in the handsworth wood area [ woodcroft rd ] way back in the early fiftys he had a brother as well also bussiness in saltley ; and nechells and connected to perry barr birmingham andhehad a fancy goods shop on the coner of gerrard steet and alleley street his wife use to run that one as well
they made alsorts of goods and mirror as well oll dezign he also had a litte factry at the rear of 243-245 kingedwards rd ladywood he only had one daughter
and i truely beleive he had a brother or broth inlaw name joe whom i met once or twice as i worked for george wilingson as a lad and when i left school
he taught me alot of things and i travelled with him i think it was 32 woodcroft avenue handsworth wood where he lived i had ben there four a couple of time
i think is wife was named ruth she had aurburn hairn canot recall the daughters name best wishjes Astonian;;;

Astonian
i do not believe i have any Georges at that time period ,we have Joseph ,Horace,Bernard and Donald Wilkinson they are lost in time for me . My grandfather Joseph packed for Canada at a very early age, although my father visited someone in this family 1943/44 ,the connection was lost years ago
Regards
Terry M

Back