• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilfred Britton

0121johnny

Brummie babby
hi there
i was talking with my sister today and found out my grandad flew in the lancaster bombers, i am trying to find out information regarding this.
the only information i know is that my dads name is raymond britton , and he has a sister called margaret.

my grandad lived in kingstanding years ago then moved to telford, his name is wilfred walley britton, if anyone has any information regarding him please get in contact as we would love to try and find out as much as we can about his life

many thanks
john britton

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hello john and welcome to the forum..do hope you can fill in the missing info about your grandad..do you have a date of birth for him..

lyn

0121johnny

Brummie babby
hello john and welcome to the forum..do hope you can fill in the missing info about your grandad..do you have a date of birth for him..

lyn
Hi. Dont know his date of birth but his son is called raymond and his daughter is margaret. My dad and aunt. Dont really know a lot sorry.

bewdley

master brummie
There are births for Raymond and Margaret, mother’s maiden name Tune, 1944 and 1948 Birmingham.

There is a marriage between Wilfred G Britton and Florence E Tune Birmingham 1939.

1945 electoral roll Wilfred and Florence are at 85 Doidge Road, Gravelly Hill Ward, Erdington Division.

clarkie

Exiled Brummie
I think this is likely to be Wilf?
Wilfred George Britton
Birth: 10 Jun 1914 - Birmingham
Death: May 2003 - Telford, Shropshire
Marriage: Sep 1939 - Birmingham

Clarkie

MWS

master brummie
There are two other Britton/Tune children registered as well - Wilfred 1941 & Jennifer 1951.

bewdley

master brummie
Wilfred's address in 1939 on the eve of war register was 293 Haunch Lane where he was living with Agnes Cooper and one other person whose record was officially closed when the register was released.

You will see that his surname was misspelt and his christian name was written as Alfred T, but has been overwritten with Wilfred and on a closer look the initial is G. Also his dob looks to be 11 June 1914, but could be 10th when enlarged!

It also says he's married on the register, which was carried out on the 29th September 1939 so possibly the blacked out person is his wife Florence?

Attachments

MWS

master brummie
There's a death registered for a Florence Emma Britton in Wrekin 1997, dob 8 Mar 1920, so would be blacked out.

pjmburns

master brummie
Are ww2 records available online?
Wilfred George Britton birth registered Sep qtr 1914, mother's maiden name Griffin.
Here is his parent's marriage...
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NF8X-WXP
One brother, Dennis Wallace Britton birth registered Aston Dec qtr 1919.
Some WW2 records are available at https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk. You need a subscription to read them. I should have added that many are still subject to closure.
Or you could try here https://www.raf.mod.uk/ahb/recordsofservice/

Last edited:

0121johnny

Brummie babby
There are births for Raymond and Margaret, mother’s maiden name Tune, 1944 and 1948 Birmingham.

There is a marriage between Wilfred G Britton and Florence E Tune Birmingham 1939.

1945 electoral roll Wilfred and Florence are at 85 Doidge Road, Gravelly Hill Ward, Erdington Division.
hi there , i have found out that this is my grandad wilfred george britton , as my dad was born in doidge road , i have also found out my dad has a brother who i have never met, also called wilfred. the reason i am doing this research is to try and find out which regiment my grandad was in, all i know is he was in the lancaster bombers?? any more information would be greatfull if you have any.
many thanks
john

0121johnny

Brummie babby
There are two other Britton/Tune children registered as well - Wilfred 1941 & Jennifer 1951.
hi master brummie , the post you put on wilfred 1941 and jenifer 1951 is my aunt and uncle would you have any idea how i may find them??? as much information is very appreciated.

0121johnny

Brummie babby
hi master brummie , wilfred 1941 and jennifer 1951 is my aunt and uncle who i have never met , would you have any more information regarding them ?? as they maybe able to help me in my quest to find out mor about my grandad wilfred george britton?
many thanks
john britton

pjmburns

master brummie
I agree with MWS but, unfortunately, Chris does not seem to come on here now. You could try sending him a PM and see if he responds.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wilfred George Britton b. 1914 and Dennis Wallace Brittonb.1919 both died in 2003.
Dennis in Blackpool.

0121johnny

Brummie babby
many thanks to you all for the information , it has been a great help , i have now tried to sennd a message to chris smith to try and get furthur in my quest to find out more about my grandad and possibly connect with family members.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
chris was last on the forum in july of this year so hopefully he will receive an email alert letting him know he as a private message

lyn