• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WILDEN- Summer Lane

kooglescriber65

master brummie
Hi,
I am looking for info on the Wilden family who lived in Summer Lane around 1947.
William and Beatrice who had son David, daughters Micky and Beryl. Also any photo's of Summer lane , I think they lived somewhere near the Birmingham Settlement.

Kooglescriber65,

I've just checked Summer Lane from 1945 to 1965 and there is nothing before 1957. Here's the results:-
1957 & 1960 William Wilden at 10 back of 334
1960 William T & Beatrice M WILDEN at 335
1962 William T., Beatrice M., & David J. at 335
1965 Beatrice M. & David J. at 335
Please bear in mind that not all years are online, in this case post-war only 1945, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1955, 1957, 1960, 1962 & 1965, and it only shows person who are registered to vote.

Maurice :cool:

According to the electoral rolls , in 1945 & 1947 Beatrice M. Wilden lived with Haydn I. & Margaret A. Thomas at 86 New
Summer St , while William T. Wilden lived at 8 back 86 New Summer St. These are just round the corner from Summer Lane, and shown in red on the map below
map c1950 showing 86 new summer st and 8 back 86 new summer st.jpg

Hi Sospriri and Mikejee,,
Thank you both so much for the info and map. That is brilliant. finding the house number too.
Do either of you know if there are any photographs on this site for Summer Lane? That would be terrific if I could find one of the house.
How do I access electoral rolls on line?

Best wishes

Thanks Mikejee, I thought that was it on the earlier map but I wasn't sure if that was Summer Lane. Should Brierly St be on the map by the crossroad of Lower Tower St?
Thank you again for the map Mike, I just need to find a photo now.

we do have an extensive thread for summer lane...if you use the search box it should come up...there may also be a couple of photos on the forum of new summer st

lyn

Thank you Astoness and Mike, I have been looking at some old photo's on the site and will be searching the site for the Summer Lane thread.
Really appreciate it.

link below for the summer lane thread...make sure you start from post one as its a very long thread and you dont want to miss anything...hope this helps

lyn

we do have an extensive thread for summer lane...if you use the search box it should come up...there may also be a couple of photos on the forum of new summer st

lyn
Hi Astoness, I have taken your advice and have been scrolling the Summer Lane thread but am frustrated as every time there is an attachment of photo's, when I click on it a window pops up saying Oooops there is a problem.
Also been reading posts between you and Deck where you have been sharing photo's but I cannot access them?

Some years ago the forum was hacked, and during recovery the photos were lost. Many have been replaced, but not all. If you say which you are interested in (giving the post number for easy reference), then hopefully they may be able to be replaced

I would like to say a huge 'THANK YOU' to Astoness, Mikejee and Sospiri for their help with photo's, maps and electoral roll info on my request for info on the Wilden family who lived in Summer Lane.
I produced what turned out to be a 48 page book of memories of Summer Lane for my friend who turned 80 this month and I quote he found it "Absolutely brilliant" so brownie points all round and again please accept my thanks for your help.

I would like to say a huge 'THANK YOU' to Astoness, Mikejee and Sospiri for their help with photo's, maps and electoral roll info on my request for info on the Wilden family who lived in Summer Lane.
I produced what turned out to be a 48 page book of memories of Summer Lane for my friend who turned 80 this month and I quote he found it "Absolutely brilliant" so brownie points all round and again please accept my thanks for your help.

oh that is wonderful news..so pleased that your friend enjoyed the book..we are always happy to help

lyn

Might be of interest...........just a slight chance that your Walden's are related to Jane Walden mentioned below.

My wife's great, great grandfather was Joseph Stevens. Joseph was a hinge manufacturer with a factory in Hanley Street. He married Jane Walden in 1841. Joseph died in 1887. At the time the family were living at 320 Summer Lane. 318 was the vicarage for St Nicolas. The Birmingham Settlement was based at 218 initially but also acquired 320 & 216.

Sadly houses long demolished.

PS: have you seen "Newtown & Summer Lane" by Drake & Glasby - mainly a collect of photographs - very interesting.

Hi Superdad3, unfortunately the family is named WILDEN and not WALDEN.
I have not seen " Newtown & Summer Lane" but would be interested in it.

Hi Superdad3, unfortunately the family is named WILDEN and not WALDEN.
I have not seen " Newtown & Summer Lane" but would be interested in it.

My apologies. My mistake. My wife's relative was Jane WILDEN not Walden. Also the settlement took over 316/318/320 and not 216 & 218 as I said.

Hi My 3 times great grandmother was Jane Wilden married to Joseph Stevens, I saw a post that said you were related to her, would like to hear from you. Regards Christine Smith

Welcome Chrissy - I think this refers to Superdad's comment in the thread here Wilden - Summer Lane. Perhaps if one of the mods sees this they will move your query to that thread so you might get a reply.
It is best if you click "reply" under any comment you wish to ask about so it directly relates to the original comment.

Back