• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Widows and the men who survived.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
As well as all the men who gave their lives we should also remember those left behind.

My late mother in law was left a widow with 3 young children to bring up which she did by working hard all her life. .Thousands of women were left in the same situation.

My grandfather was gassed in the First War and never really recovered.When the country went to war again the memories were too much to bear and he took his own life in 1940 age 44.

I agree Alberta, my wifes Grandmother was left a widow in 1915 with four children, the oldest being eight, hard times indeed.

ww1

my grandfather survived ww1 but was in ill health and had 10 children to support no one helped him and to this day no one in my family buys a poppy in respect of the lack of help british legion gave him, they were penniless

Last edited by a moderator:
war vicims

whilst i know of many families left bereft from ww1 there are still many people in trouble from ww2 in as many ways people were scared. my old mom 87 still wont go in a lift after being stuck in one in an airraid. incidentally that old brummie was on fire watch age 19 when coventry was hit clad in wellie boots 3 sizes too big after finishing her shift welding spitfires tough old girls

Back