• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wicks Leonard Balsall Heath in 1930

BrummieJayne

master brummie
Leonard Wicks, born in 1907 in Burnley, Lancashire, married my Mums Mum in Balsall Heath in 1930.
He worked as a Litho artist in 1930 at Kalamazoo in Birmingham.
Does anyone know what his job may have entailed, or and does anyone out there remember Leonard Wicks, or know his family?
He married again after splitting up with Mums mother, but Mum failed to find him again, after losing info after seeing him in the 1950's.
He was also a good artist, maybe someone out there may have some of his drawings/paintings???
He also played piano for dance bands around Birmingham, possibly in the 30's to 60's?
We know he will have passed away now, but would love to find out more about him, where he worked and any possible living family, as we have no information about him and would dearly love to have more.

Thank you x

Re: Leonard Wicks Balsall Heath in 1930

the only info i can give you are the leonard wicks entries on the electoral rolls

1930 leonard wicks with joseph blackburn wicks and alice ann wicks at 79 saint pauls rd. balsall heath

1935 leonard wicks and phyllis irene wicks at 38 runcorn rd. balsall heath (also living with them are william and florence may robinson)

1939 leonard wicks and irene wicks at 104 moorpark rd. northfield (also living with them is ernest baum)

1945 leonard wicks and phyllis l wicks at 176 hanging lane northfield (also living with them is patrick m smith)

1950 leonard wicks at 10 rock avenue northfield (also living there were brian and eunice tandy, gordon e taylor, rose chalmers and harry kelly)

hope this helps :)

Hi Shera,
You are an absolute angel! I love you!!! You have discovered more overnight than I have in years! This is the EXACT Leonard Wicks I need information about, and Phyllis Irene was my Mums Mother, Herbert Ernest Baum was Irenes 2nd husband! What a cheek running off with the lodger!!!! Gosh, must tell Mum!
Thank you so much, I truly appreciate it.
Would you know if St. Pauls Church (I assume in Balsall Heath) is still standing, as I am hoping to find Mums Grans grave there. Phoebe Peat.

Have a lovely weekend!
Thanks again, Jayne x
:thumbsup:

Joseph Blackbourne Wicks b. 1878 Lincoln
Alice Ann Wicks nee Metcalfe born 1880 married 1901
Joseph Maurice Wicks birth reg Dec 1902
Leonard b. 1907

Joseph Maurice Wicks married Bessie D Bourne 1926
Joseph died age 81 in Bromsgrove his birthdate given as
14th November 1902.
Wicks/Bourne children
Maurice J 1935
Barry T 1938
Diana K 1943

[quote
Thank you so much, I truly appreciate it.
Would you know if St. Pauls Church (I assume in Balsall Heath) is still standing, as I am hoping to find Mums Grans grave there. Phoebe Peat.

good morning jayne, im so pleased to have helped you in your research :) sorry dont know about st. pauls church, hope someone else does.:thumbsup:

Gosh, this site is full of Angels! Thank you Alberta, I now have information about Leonard's brothers family. Absolutely fascinating.
If anyone has any clues as to who Leonard married after Phyllis Irene, that would be just brilliant.

I am so grateful to all the help you have given! Mum will be chuffed to bits with this new info, and to discover about Joseph Maurice's family.

More for me to get my teeth into and follow up now!

Jayne x:grin2:

i did find this marriage yesterday but wasnt sure if it was too late and also in glouc.leonard wicks to julia L rippe 1962 jan-mar cheltenham glouc.

just a possibility

I too found this marriage but wasnt sure if it was 'our' Leonard. It may well be, but will need to have more clues before having it as fact.
All baffling isnt it?!

Thanks again, I do appreciate it. x

Jayne
According to "Balsall Heath & Highgate" St Pauls was opned in 1853, and in 1980 moved to shared accomadation at the church centre at Edwards Road.The church was demolished and the site is now occupied by a factory unit. The Edwards road centre should be able to give you information of the graves
mike

Maurice J Wicks married Velma Bevington 1956.
I think you will find Maurice and Velma Wicks on the electoral roll.

Thanks Mike. That is very sad if the graves have been built over. I will try to obtain information from The Edwards rd centre. Thanks ever so much for taking the time to help out. Jayne x

Jayne
I think they would have to have been reinterred, not just built over. The Edwards road centre would know the details
mike

Jayne

I have sent you an IM regarding Maurice J and Velma Wicks

bren

Hi Shera, I have since learnt that Leonard sadly died around 1950, which would explain why you didnt have further electoral records for him. Cant find ANY death record for him, so if you have any magic details possibly recorded at Yardley Wood cemetery around 1950 onwards for him, (born 1907) that would be wonderful.
Your tips have been a great help. Thank you! Jayne x

Hi Jayne

What do you reckon --

Leonard Wicks 54yrs 2nd qtr 1961 Birmingham 9c 117

bren

Got the certificate, and yes it was our Leonard and I have now found his grave too in Brandwood Cemetary.
Problem solved. All a bit sad, but happy to find him too.
Couldnt have done it without the lovely people on this forum.
THANK YOU. x

Back