• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Why

I wonder how many teenagers wonder around the art gallery and think they are the only ones, I too spent many a happy hour in the museum, art gallery and although I have never really considered I know anything about art, I always found it a beautiful place to be

Digressing slightly, to all art lovers I reccomend a visit to the Barber Institute in the grounds of Birmingham University, obviously much smaller tha Bham Art Gallery, even so it has a large collection of paintings and drawings by old masters plus works by contempary artists. I was fortunate enough to have a guided tour followed by a lecture and slide show by the curator Professor Verdi who is/was Hon Vice president of the Birmingham Water Colour Society. He arranged an evening visit for Society members outside normal hours. Eric

Hi

There is major renovation work taking place as part of the refurbishment of the new History Galleries which are due to open Sept 2012. Unfortunately many parts of the Museum have to be closed to the public because structural work is taking place.

Suzanne

No Rep. - What gives? Am exiled in Berkshire.

The Rep building is currently closed while they build the new library next door.

The Rep building will be joined to the new library and as they are making major structural changes to the Rep building they have to close it.

However the Rep are still putting on plays all over Birmingham by using other theatres such as the Crescent, the Old Rep, the MAC (Midlands Art Centre) and so on.

If you scroll through this topic you can find pictures of the new library and how it is affecting the Rep. Go to the end of the topic as many of the pictures at the start have been "lost".

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33506

Here's The Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery back in March 2011 when the gallery on the left was under scaffolding

Here's where the REP was performing earlier this year

Back