• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Why does my PC keep telling me some sites are "not responding"

senoraruz

master brummie
Since yesterday I keep getting a message that something (eg Facebook ) is not responding. Had no problems previously.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

If that doesn't work try clearing the browser cache (if you're not sure about how to do this let us know which browser you're using and one of 'the team' will help you out.

If that doesn't work try clearing the browser cache (if you're not sure about how to do this let us know which browser you're using and one of 'the team' will help you out.
The odd thing is, for no apparent reason, when I switched on again yesterday, everything was back to normal. The problem was only with sites accessed through MSN so I suspect one of Windows 10 useless upgrades..

I had a problem yesterday with with my Acer desktop computer.
Chrome browser would not load any website with 'Unable to resolve host' message ...
Switched to Edge browser ... same problem.
Tried my Dell laptop and iPad ... all normal ... so the problem was with the Acer.

Did a normal Windows Defender Scan ... nothing found.
Did a Malwarebytes scan ... nothing found.
Did a CClean ... problem still there.
Did a Windows Defender special deep 'Offline Scan' nothing reported and problem still present.
xIMG_0481.JPG

Switched off the Router for 20 secs and on resuming the problem had gone.
If I see this problem again I will carry out the Router 'Switch-off' before any other actions ... :)

The odd thing is, for no apparent reason, when I switched on again yesterday, everything was back to normal. The problem was only with sites accessed through MSN so I suspect one of Windows 10 useless upgrades..
Actually there is not much of a tie between MSN and Microsoft. It seems like the router has been marginalized and of course many wireless connections are overloaded regardless. Our wireless runs at 300Mg (most of the time) but when my wife is on her Ipad pro and me on my notebook things run much slower. While there is no silver bullitt for the solution, I think oldMohawks idea to shut off the power for 20 seconds is the best starting point!

I often get messages like "unable to resolve" etc. It's usually a local network thing. What happens is that the browser is expecting response from the internet faster that it's getting. Unable to resolve host comes when the computer that tells it where the computer it wants is hasn't responded quickly enough.

Two of my devices had no problems but my desktop Acer did. I do financial work on this device so with all my important data on a separate drive I downloaded and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Version 1909 os build 18363.719.

Chrome and Edge layouts and bookmarks auto-synced, and apps reinstalled so I'm good to go ... :)

Recently the Virgin network have been having problems. In my case it affected my mobile for calls (when I tried to make a call it told me that "conditional call forwarding has been initiated" , but apparently it also affected many for broadband also

Rule number 1 - always suspect your ISP (internet service provider). Quite often we've found that someone in the island capital, Heraklion, has been working on some other problem, removed a plug, and forgot to put it back again. When you report a fault, and no one gets back to you, but the fault magically disappears, you can almost guarantee that this is the cause, except that in your case, the plug won't be in Heraklion. :cool:

Maurice :cool:

Rule number 1 - always suspect your ISP (internet service provider). Quite often we've found that someone in the island capital, Heraklion, has been working on some other problem, removed a plug, and forgot to put it back again. When you report a fault, and no one gets back to you, but the fault magically disappears, you can almost guarantee that this is the cause, except that in your case, the plug won't be in Heraklion. :cool:

mauri

Maurice, you are so right about your ISP! If you measure your internet upload and download speeds throughout the day or part of, you might (then might not :-( ) be surprised at how much variation there is, this also affects the router and device performance! Most homes have two phones and two computer devices all sucking up power!

Back