• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Why are you a family historian?

I started in the late 70s, after finding a little, privately-printed book of poems and essays by one of my grandfather's forebears. Most were about the writer's family, so I was able to piece together who they were and to draw out my first wobbly tree from that. The family turned out to have been Staffordshire stonemasons, then civil engineers building canals and later railways - and of course that led me into a wealth of social history, plus contacts (and even visits) with today's descendants in Hungary, Australia and Canada.

Like Viv, I have been wondering how to get this down on paper in a readable form. The computer is great for organizing tree info, but nothing beats paper for longevity.

Of course, as the "family historian" one is the butt of humour for everyone else in the family, but I expect they will be grateful in the long run...

Angela

Back