• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whose Old Car Photos Are These?

Curly

master brummie
Prompted by the recent reuniting of a box of photos recently found, can anyone shed any light on this long shot?

Way back in 1970, I was going to buy an old 1930s 'Standard' car. A RARE one. This car was under cover at the back of a scrapyard. To cut a long story short, I found the original owner/original owner's family and subsequently borrowed two photos with a view to having them copied with the intention of keeping the copy for reference as a 'before' picture (the car was then scruffy and unloved) BUT not only did I not get the car, I lost the address where I'd got the photos and have felt very guilty ever since, they were only borrowed and I would think the family would be (quite rightly) upset with me.

Does anyone recognise the car and know the original? owner/owners family. I would like to return them to the family, even at this late time. The car IS registered with the DVLA so it's about somewhere but does not appear in the Standard Owners Club galleries (if this attempt fails, I can use that route, but I want these to go back from where they came rather than to the current owner).

I have removed the reg no, and would ask any claimant, not only the reg, and the date on the back (from the other photos in the range), but the locality from where I borrowed them (which I do remember!)

Apologies for poor scans.

Fingers crossed!

30s Standard 1.jpg30s Standard 2.jpg

hi curly it is never too late to reunite old photos with family so i wish you well in your search..please keep us updated will you

all the best

lyn

hi curly it is never too late to reunite old photos with family so i wish you well in your search..please keep us updated will you

all the best

lyn

I'd like to 'bump' this one as sadly no-one has responded :(
(and though probably irrelevant, the photos are, in fact 35mm slides!)

One thing is certain and that is cars of that era were rarely painted light or bright blue so it is quite distinctive. I wonder if anyone recognises the buildings in the background?

not much of a clue but i think it says hotel on the building in pic 1

lyn

not much of a clue but i think it says hotel on the building in pic 1

lyn

It does indeed read 'HOTEL' - I must try and find the lightbox that I had for my old scanner and reproduce the pictures properly! (I need a round TUIT)

Yesterday, I found that I had FOUR slides, not two. I set up my lightbox and have included one better scan of the car and one fairly clear photo of the family. I hope this will helpStandard 16 #001a.jpg Standard 16 #003a.jpg !

Back