• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Who would you recommend?

Eric Gibson

master brummie
I'm back to my family tree efforts, links from the 'hint' in my tree take me to Ancestry and a requirement to buy a subscription, I've done that before and been a bit disappointed at what I got for the money.
Any other suggestions of a better deal?

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
I'm back to my family tree efforts, links from the 'hint' in my tree take me to Ancestry and a requirement to buy a subscription, I've done that before and been a bit disappointed at what I got for the money.
Any other suggestions of a better deal?

eric i think it all depends on what records you are looking to access..some sites will provide records that others do not...ancestry are always adding to their records and i personally have found them very good especially when a few years ago they added the facility of us actually being able to see marriage certs and burial records which has saved me buying them but i think its just a case of shopping around

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Hi Eric,

I think the Ancestry -v- FindMyPast argument has been done to death here somewhere in the past. I have world subscriptions to both because I don't just do my own family tree. There's a few alternatives such as The Genealogist, good for parish records, but I have no idea how the prices of these three compare. It's my only major vice so the price doesn't worry me too much! :cool:

If you're involved with ancestors outside of the UK, then a world subscription is worth the extra, otherwise don't bother. Consider maybe a British Library Newspaper Archive subscription if any are either famous or criminals or if your search involves occupational research in any depth. Birmingham Electoral Rolls (up to 1965) and Midland Trade Directories can be covered by MidliandsHistoricalData subscription - now unlimited searches for £80 p.a. or you can just buy credits as required.

They are the main contenders as regards subscriptions, but, of course, there are a range of free sites like Family Search, Free BMD, Free Reg, Parish Mouse, Forebears.io, London Gazette, etc. Personally I still use FindMyPast more than any of the others and this also includes the bulk of the newspaper archive in a full subscription, though I don't find the search engine as good as the British Library one. A library card allows access at home to such things as the National Biography and many more. Hope that helps.

Maurice :cool:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
But personally I find their hints absolutely useless. In my case they aremostly either repeats of obvious things that I already have like births, deaths, censuses, or else ridiculous ones , like naturalisation records in the US of someone in 1843 of someone with the same name as an ancester who never left uk and was born after that date. That said, they do have a very good range of records

Eric Gibson

master brummie
I've recently found quite a bit on the IGI Family search free site that wasn't there last time I had a go.
A bit too mean to pay over a hundred quid to Ancestry but I might just have to bite the bullet. :)

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
dont forget we do not have to subscribe for a whole year..having been at it for 12 years i just pick it up again for a month at a time or when the mood takes and especially during the winter months and of course now we have more time on our hands due to covid

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Mike,

Agreed, but then I prefer to do my own research and ignore all their hints anyway! :)

Pedro,

Well we're all here to help each other and are happy to do lookups and post newspaper clippings. In general, we get just as much satisfaction out of a successful bit of research as the recipient does. Just a reminder that people post sufficient information, particularly with the more common surnames, so that we have a good chance of finding the information you need.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Eric,

All these sites are being added to regularly. In the case of Family Search, Free BMD & Free Reg, it is a large team of volunteers that do this work, and the work is double checked. A few years ago I extracted about 40,000 records for Free BMD, and more recently I did quite a number of passenger manifests between Australia & New Zealand for Family Search. Just my way of giving something back to the free sites - they provide the images and you key them into a database.

It's also worth pointing out that certain counties have very few of their parish records online, and amongst these are Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, & Oxfordshire that I know about. There are probably others. This is were membership of a Family History Society in the area comes in handy as they have generally extracted at least the marriages in that county and will do block searches of a particular surname quite cheaply for members.