• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Who was my Godmother?

SheilaShanley

I was born in Moseley Birmingham on 8th March 1950 and taken to Dudley Road Hospital, where my Mother and I stayed for 10 months, both being quite ill. I was Baptised by Father Anthony Timlin on 21st March 1950 - it states on my Baptismal Certificate that Martha Carty was my Godmother. I would love to know who she was - maybe a Nurse or someone who worked there, I don't think she was a friend of my Mother. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also how would I find out if there are any records of who worked at the Gaumont Cinema Restaurant in 1949 - 1950? I am trying to find out who my Biological Father was, and think that he may have worked there with my Mother, as she was a Waitress. Thank you so much.

Both difficult questions with not a lot to go on.

There does appear to be only one Martha Carty listed on the electoral rolls around that time. She is living at 33 Duchess Road in 1945 and marries Thomas J McGrath in 1955. They are listed on West Heath Road on the 60s ERs.

Even if it was her, she was born in 1919 and had no children.

DNA may be the only way to find your father, hope that it matches you with one of his relatives (if not him).

Extremely unlikely there will be employment records and if there are they will be closed under the 100 year rule.
I can't find a Martha Carty on the nursing register so perhaps she was a hospital employee other than a nurse.

Back