• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

who likes 1920 and 30s 40s music

Love 20s 30s music. I remember The Temperance Seven had a hit in 1961 with Pasadena. I've been to see Brandyn Shaw many times because he does a great Al Bowlly act.

Last edited:
Earlier I posted On the Trail by Ferde Grofé on the classical music thread. This is probably one for John from Staffs if he sees this thread because it is Ferde Grofé and his Orchestra playing Temptation recorded in 1933, two years after he wrote the more serious Grand Canyon Suite. The orchestra is OK and the vocalist, who I have never heard of, is a big improvement on Donald Peers, though that wouldn't be difficult. :)

Maurice :cool:

An attempt to redeem poor old Bertini, with a little potted history of the band, but another vocalist who wasn’t much better.

What we mustn’t lose sight of is that the Woolworths Eclipse records cost all of sixpence, that is, two and a half decimalised pence, so you can’t really expect much. I’m not sure whether they were double sided though.

But in an attempt to redeem myself, a visit to the quality end. Ambrose and Sam Browne, what could be better?

Last edited:
Yes, John, Bertini sounds of like the worse of the Serbian brass bands, and some are quite listenable & entertaining, and the vocalist sounds as though someone is strangling a certain part of his anatomy. Whereas Ambrose is, as always, smooth and polished.

Maurice :cool:

British female vocalists of the period, not much to say until Anne Shelton, but American women,

Annette Hanshaw. Need I say more?

Oh yes, sorry I forgot, “That’s all!”

Last edited:
Back