• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

who likes 1920 and 30s 40s music

That's brilliant, haven't seen anything like that before! Don't want your heading to confuse people Aggie...The songs are actually 30s and 40s so rightly belong on here!
Lynn.
I originally downloaded this some years ago because I am into music from the 50s and 60s my era. So, don't forget to click on those boxes as there are some memorable songs in there.

Lyn working in Upper Gough St 1969/71 , I worked with a chap who used to come out of the blue singing this , another gem of his was Chewing Gum , I thought he'd made that up but it's amazing how many people have recorded it including Dean Martin .During . I had utmost admiration for this chap , during ww11 on 24hr Embarkation Leave he chose to get married and turned up at late barracks late , he could have got shot for his lateness . But love overrules all . God Bless You Tom

Lovely story John, and isn't it funny how you don't hear people singing like they used to? Or whistling? I'd not hear that song but I have now!!

Last edited:
Lovely story Tom, and isn't it funny how you don't hear people singing like they used to? Or whistling? I'd not hear that song but I have now!!

Lyn when you hear some of the dross that has been recorded , would you entertain trying to decipher it to sing . I'll stick with "When I'm Calling You ooooo "

I don't know if this will actually work for all of you but Free Music Archive host a lot of material - most of it modern and alternative - but they do have a series of transferred material from "antique phonograph" records that you should be able to download for free. This link should get you to a search that will turn up a lot of it (469 tracks) https://freemusicarchive.org/search/?sort=date&d=0&page=4&quicksearch=antique+phonograph

I've just been watching The Temperance Seven on YouTube , their first number was Pasadena at The London Palladium Command Performance 1961. The funny part about this video is, after the wind section soloists play their bit they sit down and pick up a lighted cigar it's hilarious . The other great watch was a drum solo by Ginger Baker(Cream) nearly twelve minutes long brilliant

Back