• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Who did you have on your bedroom wall... ?

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
I answered this question on another site and then thought I'd challenge our members...
on my bedroom wall when I was growing up were:
Elvis Presley, James Dean, Billy Fury, Cliff Richard and Richard Chamberlain
View attachment 32028
As my sister and I shared a bedroom we also had 'The 1957 Busby Babes' on the wall too (She lives in Brim, but still supports Manchester United).
View attachment 32029
My brother had Aston Villa's cup win,Rocky Marciano,some Eagle Comic posters and Hayley Mills.
View attachment 32030View attachment 32032

Chris/Pom

I don't have any photos as it was too expensive then, but I had painted the whole room in orange, to match my cycle, and depicted all the cycle parts in an exploded view! No film or TV stars for me.

Graham.

Showing how "young" I am now...I had QUEEN....as a teenager,but I do remember having a poster brought for me of Jimmy Osmond....

This was your life Mrs T

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58CJih1iYC0&feature=related"]YouTube - Don't Stop Me Now[/ame]

Pale brown distemper & dado strip marking the start of the whitewashed ceiling. Len.

Have a swoon on me Patty

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpTvOqU9HLE&feature=related"]YouTube - Gergie Fame - Because I Love You[/ame]

hi ray
had to laugh at your mad moment when you displayed you had bugs ,
and drowned them in the poe. and then i thought did he really have bugs
i know we certainly did thousands of them coming through the walls of thompsons the slaughter butchers on lichfield rd we had to swatt them with the old mans argus
he was,nt very happy after wards beleive me when he came in drunk as a skunk
from the golden cross with all these red blotches all over is paper ,
best wishes astonian ;;;

richard bradford(man in a suitcase) and tom jones...been going to see him since i was 17....i will be there again in oct at the nec...and ive got a little silver framed pic of him on me bedside table... cant give him up im afraid...lol

lyn

Mine were The Beatles and The Monkees. The UK vs. the US. And they were hung on royal blue walls with my orange curtains and bedspread! I wonder if the colours of our room were a statement of our personality or of the times. Perhaps both.

Graham, you bravely walked to the beat of a different drum and probably still do. Good for you! It takes a lot of courage to be different.

Norma

Norma, how extraordinary! At that time orange and blue were my favourite colours and I had my record breaking bike sprayed in those colours and did my room to match. Here is a photo (in b&w) of me and the bike at Salford Park 1966. The bike is now in a museum.

I can't recollect ever being allowed to stick anything up on my bedroom wall. Probably because as a small child, I used to lie in bed, peel back a little bit of wallpaper and then gradually pick a hole in the plaster! It's a wonder I had any finger nails left! No doubt a trick cyclist would find some sort of a name for this syndrome...... :)

Maurice

It's true Jean,I think my dad tried various ways to get rid of them,nothing really worked,exept flicking them in the poe and drowning them...well,everyone needs a hobby.

Maybe I too should own up here...
The only reason we were allowed to put pic's on our bedroom walls was because we could not afford wallpaper, or paint. It gave mom the excuse to tell the neighbours that there was no point decorating walls covered in comic and magazine pic's.
We never bought any of the Comics, or Mag's they were leftovers given to us by Mr & Mrs Peddley, who own the Paper Shop where my brother worked.
The only one that was eventually framed and artificially coloured in the team colours was the newspaper cutting of 'The Busby Babes' after the air crash on the 6th of Feb 1958.
And yes we also only ever had bugs and damp stains on our walls when we lived in Dymoke St, the pic's never came until we moved to 'The new flats' in Gt Lister St.

Chris/Pom

I am afraid I was very booring and had none but I did have the Beetles in my office at work just for the hell of it and a picture of a racehorse by the name of Comander in Chief. Jean.

lol ray...its been a long time since i heard that expression....the poe...

lyn

hi
on my bed room wall i had the one and mr jagger [ mick ] and the rolling stones
i had this photograph bought me when the stones first appeared on the scene
when they made there first ever record called come on. and this pic
was bought for me special from a very lovely young lady whom parents owned the chain of shops called yasmins lady clothes and children clothes which was on winson green rd winson green i am still an hardened stones fan and i have still got that picture she bought me from all those years ago which i still treasure ,
the young lady her self is called yasmin , and i would dearly love to meet her again ,
and i still have it on my wall today ---keep on rocking i say best wishes astonian ;;;

Jean they were the (Beat)les, the other ones look after your garden

Well I had James Garner on my bedroom wall. Thought he was lovely. I was in a back to back horrible attic bedroom, so needed something to cheer it up.

Can'nt recall having anything on the bedroom wall, but do remember my brother having lots of aerplanes hanging off the ceiling .........everytime he made a plane out of balsa wood it was really a work of art in those days no kits etc just a piece of wood that had to be shaped and sanded, must say he did a good job so we had spitfires and bombers etc all hanging from the celiling....brenda

Roger Moore and Tony Curtis.. In the Magazine " Look In"

I collected all copies up to issue 25 THEN MY MUM THREW THEM AWAY... i could have been a millionaire..

did you see tony on the box this week... in a wheelchair and looking v v old.

Back