• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whittaker Ellis c.1930

carlinwood

proper brummie kid
Hi all,
I have another entry from my Great Grans biography, dated circa 1930:
"The younger boys used to go over some waste ground (they called it the Millers) to pick cinders where the Whitaca Ellis (sic) men used to burn. Sometimes they would give them some cokes."

I'm pretty certain she is referring to the firm Whittaker Ellis on Cardigan Street. Would anyone know what line of work the company was in during the 1930s and what they might have been burning? Possibly refuse collections?
Also if anyone knows where The Millers might have been, that would be the icing on the cake.

Best wishes,
Carl

From 1935 Kellys:

Ellis Whittaker Ltd. engineering contractors for public
works, 122 Colmore row (T A " Spigot; " T N Central
7549) & 71 to 75 Cardigan street 4 [TN's Aston Cross
2241 & 2^42); yard, Kingston road (T N Victoria 1125);
registered offices, 121 Victoria street, Westminster, London
s w 1. T N's Victoria 1,254 & 1,255

Hi all,
I have another entry from my Great Grans biography, dated circa 1930:
"The younger boys used to go over some waste ground (they called it the Millers) to pick cinders where the Whitaca Ellis (sic) men used to burn. Sometimes they would give them some cokes."

I'm pretty certain she is referring to the firm Whittaker Ellis on Cardigan Street. Would anyone know what line of work the company was in during the 1930s and what they might have been burning? Possibly refuse collections?
Also if anyone knows where The Millers might have been, that would be the icing on the cake.

Best wishes,
Carl
I worked for Whittaker Ellis (AKA Whittaker Ellis Bullock) 1970-74. We supported the West Midland Gas Board (WMGB) in laying gas mains and service lines usually on new estates, maintaining said services mostly thru seeking and repairing gas leaks. In 1973 North Sea Gas came in and the gas pressures increased threefold. That was when our work really started. I was a qualified gas jointer, main layer, shot blast and encapsulator. I was also a Ganger who lead a team of four chasing gas leaks all over Brum and surrounding areas. Still remember many of the guys I worked with and a few middle and senior management staff.

I worked for Whittaker Ellis (AKA Whittaker Ellis Bullock) 1970-74. We supported the West Midland Gas Board (WMGB) in laying gas mains and service lines usually on new estates, maintaining said services mostly thru seeking and repairing gas leaks. In 1973 North Sea Gas came in and the gas pressures increased threefold. That was when our work really started. I was a qualified gas jointer, main layer, shot blast and encapsulator. I was also a Ganger who lead a team of four chasing gas leaks all over Brum and surrounding areas. Still remember many of the guys I worked with and a few middle and senior management staff.
Hi I also worked at whittakers i started in 1979 but my dad and four brothers worked here my dad was Harry powell and brothers were Donald Roger Terry and John it was a great place to work some great blokes

Hi I also worked at whittakers i started in 1979 but my dad and four brothers worked here my dad was Harry powell and brothers were Donald Roger Terry and John it was a great place to work some great blokes

Peter. I worked with both your Dad and Don. I'd often go to Borth (Wales) with Don and his girlfriend although she'd get really upset whenever he dragged me along. I was running a gang at the age of 18 on the Shotblast and Encapsulation crew as Tommy Field the original ganger was off sick. When Tommy came back Roger Howarth was going to put me on Carbosealing with Les Lee but I knew that was bad stuff so I left and joined the Army. I remember Phil Higginbotham, Maurice Blick, Charlie Turland, Geoff and Ronnie the two compressor lorry drivers, Bumper Fuller, David Lay, Pete (PM) Thomas, Al (Vash) Virtue to name a few. Cracking memories. I became a paratrooper and served a total of 41 years with the armed forces, 23 years in uniform and 18 in operational training. I am an Ulster, Falklands and Iraq veteran and now in my spare time work as a researcher for Armed Forces memorial sites. Hope this finds you well and, great to chat.

Hi Peter,

I worked with both your Dad and Don. Great guys although Don could be a handful at times, Id often go to Borth with Don and his girlfriend although she'd often get quite upset when he dragged me along.

Peter. I worked with both your Dad and Don. I'd often go to Borth (Wales) with Don and his girlfriend although she'd get really upset whenever he dragged me along. I was running a gang at the age of 18 on the Shotblast and Encapsulation crew as Tommy Field the original ganger was off sick. When Tommy came back Roger Howarth was going to put me on Carbosealing with Les Lee but I knew that was bad stuff so I left and joined the Army. I remember Phil Higginbotham, Maurice Blick, Charlie Turland, Geoff and Ronnie the two compressor lorry drivers, Bumper Fuller, David Lay, Pete (PM) Thomas, Al (Vash) Virtue to name a few. Cracking memories. I became a paratrooper and served a total of 41 years with the armed forces, 23 years in uniform and 18 in operational training. I am an Ulster, Falklands and Iraq veteran and now in my spare time work as a researcher for Armed Forces memorial sites. Hope this finds you well and, great to chat.
Thanks for replying ye some names i remember there some others Less Bates Freddie stubs pat coney yes it was like a family Don's wife Elaine sadly Don passed away in 97 he was only 47 he was a great loss to the family as I was the youngest he was my best friend more like a dad than my one dad as you probably know what he was like at time dad was 89 when he past Don used to talk alot he used to call it the outward bound something like that and you in the Army thankyou for that im pound of our armed forces bet you had some good times but also lot of bad thank you

Although I am from Canada, with the exception of six years growing up in the south of England, I worked for WEB during the summers of 1974 and 1975. In 1974 I worked at the Chubb factory expansion in Wolverhampton working as an assistant field engineer (I was a student at the time). I really can’t remember any names from that time, although I did know Mr. Bullock as our families had holiday flats in the same complex in Mallorca.

In 1975 I spent time in the North East, working mainly at the British Rail Wagon Works in Shildon. I also spent a few weeks working at an industrial (condo type) complex as an assistant to field engineer Ross Hayes in Washington New Town and also a few days at a roadworks project in Middlesbrough.

WEB offered me to stay on after the summer as I had graduated from the uni, but I decided to go back and get more over educated.

I ended up working in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and have been here ever since retiring last year.

Although I am from Canada, with the exception of six years growing up in the south of England, I worked for WEB during the summers of 1974 and 1975. In 1974 I worked at the Chubb factory expansion in Wolverhampton working as an assistant field engineer (I was a student at the time). I really can’t remember any names from that time, although I did know Mr. Bullock as our families had holiday flats in the same complex in Mallorca.

In 1975 I spent time in the North East, working mainly at the British Rail Wagon Works in Shildon. I also spent a few weeks working at an industrial (condo type) complex as an assistant to field engineer Ross Hayes in Washington New Town and also a few days at a roadworks project in Middlesbrough.

WEB offered me to stay on after the summer as I had graduated from the uni, but I decided to go back and get more over educated.

I ended up working in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and have been here ever since retiring last year.
WEB were also main contractors for West Midlands Gas Board in the 60’s and 70’s they had a yard in Watson Road Aston

Back