• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Whitmore Tonks - Sarah

Brummiebell

master brummie
The above lady was my great grandmother and a lady of mystery. I have found out a lot about her but would most like to know why she lived with a man for 28 years and had 8 children with him but they never married. The children where even baptised late in life and his name changed to Harry Tonks to cover it up. And when my grandmother was married in the 1920s on her marrage cert she called him Tonks too. I feel sure I must be missing something, and that she or he may have gotten married to someone else, however I cant find a definite entry, there are quite a few and I can't order certs for all. What I would love to find is a church register entry which may give me the family members then I will be able to order a certificate. Have only had index entries come up so far. Does anyone have the resources to search any of the parish records in Birmingham, I believe it could be st Lawrence if that is any use as that is where the children are baptised. It may have been Harry also who was married His name was Harry Short b.1853 and had mother Emma Bailey and sister Clara Bailey stepfather English
Sarah was born around 1857 father John Tonks a railway guard. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Sarah Whitmore Tonks

Unfortunately it might be one of those things that you never find out. It could be they just couldn't afford to get married. I looked but couldn't find a previous marriage for either (others might have better luck).

I found Harry Short, listed as Harry English living with his widowed mother in 1881 and assuming that all the children are Harry and Sarah's (the eldest being called Harry seems to imply it) then there's only a short gap for Harry to have been married previously.

Back