• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whitmore Street

hi john and welcome to the forum...ive got a few pics taken in 1968..did you live in whitmore street

lyn

John I lived in Ford Street and used to 'knock around' with the Atkins twins who lived in Whitmore Street - do you remember them?

Whitmore Street.jpg

Hi master brummie, like the picture, it looks like the opposite side of the road to where eva lived,you had to go through a gate to get to the back to back houses which were backed onto park road, cheers john

hi john i will post them on here for you shortly..hope they will bring back some memories for your wife..

lyn

whitmore_st_ansells_barbers 1968.jpgwhitmore_st_danger_boy.jpgwhitmore_street_boy_and_car 1968.jpghere you go john..3 more to go with the one carolina has posted for you..just click on them they will enlarge..pics courtesy of carl chinn...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi john ;
my cousins and my auntie winn and uncle harry phelps used to live in ford street
and my two cousins whom is named bryan and barry phelps
i used to travel up fromlichfield rd and mess around the stret with them there used to be a gang of them and we played foot ball in the street often ;and they used to have the biggest bon fire in the street ;
and we all went to ickneild street i can recall barry kehoe and a few more of the lads and haynes ;
have a nice dy best wishes astonian;;

Hi John, I used to live in Park Rd right opposite Whitmore St. My father lived at 120 Whitmore St before he moved to Park Rd. I have attached a couple of pics, one of the cafe on the corner of Park Rd / Whitmore St and one of numbers 115-116 Whitmore St. Both these pictures have been put on the site before so I cannot take any credit for them.

Terry

Attachments

• 115-116 whitmore st.jpg
    115-116 whitmore st.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 65
  • corner of Park rd and Whitmore st.jpg
    corner of Park rd and Whitmore st.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 73
There was a guy who lived in Whitmore Street in the late 50s/early60s and he loved Connie Francis and he would have her records playing all day long which you could hear everytime you walked past his house. The Atkins I talked about were Margaret and Maureen, their siblings were, John, Ronnie, Joyce and Ruby. The lived in a yard and everytime you went into their house you had to bang about as the coal was kept right next to the living room and hence loads of black bats. We had some great times together.

HI CAROLINE ;AND JOHN ;
The cafe on the corner of park rd was my grand fathers cafe ;and just along there in on park rd was an old girl friend of mine called
carol and she had a brother called terry ; her cousinjackie lived right next to her on the entry
and she used to court the lad from the other cafe across the rd on the flat [ lodg rd ]
and my old mate micky lived in abbey street ;the old place as not really changed from the days of yester years
and my old man used to work at charles harris around the corner ;for donkeys years until he died there at the age of 47 ;
he was the bakelight moulder and they had a collection for him for my mother

have a good day best wishes for 2013 astonian;

hi carolina...as i dont know the street as such i really couldnt confirm it or not...would have thought ted rudge was right but as we all know we do get a lot of wrong captions...can you let me know if you do find out for sure please..

lyn

This c 1955 map seems to show the right distribution of "holes" in the frontage, with the right number of houses in between. Photographer at red arrow

Attachments

• map c 1955 whitmore st.jpg
    map c 1955 whitmore st.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 43
No whitmore street was always a straight flat street that picture as a hill in it
Whitmore street was parallel if the whitmore street you are thinking of in the lodge road flat hockley

Hi Lynn
I hope you do not mind me just saying a quick word,if any think its one or the other side of
Whitmore street ,,and the reason I say that its because Heaton
Street being the first street before whitmore street that was the road with the slight incline on the street
Meaning the pavement but that's what ever way you are walking either from the brook end
Or lodge road end but as the picture is coming towards us I would say its the top end towards the flat
Which is part of lodge red so. Walking from the flat surprisingly heading towards that little chap in the picture
You will she the incline of the pavement and to me the other road would be some where close
To would be park road because of that incline on the pavement
And the houses are more like the ones that was on Heaton street
My aunt winning Phelps lived at the bottom of those street and I played foot ball
With my two cousins in the street with there friends best wishes Alan,,,Astoinian,,,

Lyn, Yes its definitely Whitmore street you can see from this photo the bridge at the top and the bus depot to the right. Cheers.Hockley bus depot and rabones.JPG

Back