• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whitehouse shop WW2

S

sophiesmom

Hello all. Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. My grandparents ran a shop that, according to my mom, sold paint and glass. Maybe a hardware shop, on Great Francis Street. She was born on that street so I assume the same address. She knows that my grandfather was killed by in incendiary bomb and the information from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission lists him as follows: William John Whitehouse, civilian war dead, who died age 41 on 10 April, 1941, Fire Guard of 185 Great Francis Street, Saltley. Died at 185 Great Francis Street, Saltley.
Any information anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

William John Whitehouse (Civilian and Fire Guard) Killed at the age of 41 during an attack on 185 Great Francis Street, Saltley, 10 April 1941 Additional Notes: Lived; 185 Great Francis Street, Saltley Relatives:-

No Relatives Found. Sorry that is the listing in BARRA. Len.

From 1940 kellys:
Whitehouse William J. plumber 185 and (yard) 42 Great Francis St

Mike

Thanks both for the information.
As for relatives, must be some mistake by BARRA as his wife and the baby, (3 others evacuated) survived. I suppose I should get in touch with them to correct that. Also I believe under cemetery as Birmingham County, but when I try to look that up, I get about 5.
Interesting as he was listed as a plumber! From family stories, all I know is that as a child my mom could remember my dad walking away from the dinner table if any neighbor needed help with anything, and her mom handling and cutting very large sheets of glass.
The plot thickens!
Thank you two again for your assistance! It's MOST appreciated!

I don't know if its relevent, but there was also a william edward whitehouse, plumber at 142 Varna road.
m ike

This is like putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle!
I can't thank everyone enough for the help, except if you're ever in my neck of the woods....
I just asked my mom and she said that by the time he had all the kids (by 1940) he was a master builder with a thriving business. She doesn't remember the name.
Anyone have any ideas why it would be listed as a number and "yard"?

sophiesmom, Plumbers in GB pre 1939 to early 1970`s? did not have a lot of central heating work only rich people had C/Heating so they would take on all sorts of building work including glazing, brickwork & rooftiling etc, your G/Father must have had a Yard at the side of the house and was used to store their spares and transport which could be a van or horse & cart, our local plumber had an old motorbike and box sidecar. Len.

The house was at 185, the yard at no 42. I haven't (yet) worked out exactly where they were, but they were approximately opposite each other, the house between Loxton st & Heneage st and the yard between dudeston mill road and albion terrace, the first of the terraces. The yard at No 42 is listed in kellys as being occupied by him and the building by middleton & son, garden vase makers.
mike

I have now worked out exactly where the house and yard were. The house 185 is shown in blue and no 42 shown in red on this 1902 map. The yard will be part or all of the yard behind no 42. There may have been some slight changes before 1940, but it should be approximately the same
mike
In restoring image i did not have original and reprepared it. , accidently switching colours, but have altered text above because of this

gt_francis_st_showing_nos_42_and_185A.jpg

Hi Sophiesmom

It's not a mistake by BARRA as the original record in the Birmingham WW2 Victims book doesn't show any relatives either.

Fantastic information! Once again, my thanks. I could not have gotten all this info without you.
As far as the 'identity confusion', I don't know what to say, except that it's most def. William John Whitehouse and most def. Great Francis Street, as my documents say. My aunt has more information than I do and I hope to be seeing her soon. I suppose mistakes could have been made, but I am living proof that he children!
If anyone has any other thoughts, I would be glad to hear them. I find all this information fascinating.

sophiesmom, You are living proof that your G/Father had a family, he may have been killed by an explosive incendiary bomb which were used to cause injury to Air Raid Precautions workers and also to cause major fire damage, you can be very proud of him because he put his life in danger to save others, i hope your search will come to a satisfactory conclusion. Len.

Back