• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Whitehouse Restaurant

hunkyhywel

Deleted Upon Request
A nice break from buttons!!
In the 1911 census Esther Whitehouse was recorded as an assistant in a restaurant. Under 'employer' was written, 'John Whitehouse'.
I have assumed that John Whitehouse owned the restaurant where she was working.

I'd love to get some more information on where or when this restaurant was, or any reference to it! Can anyone help!?

The address of the census was 52 Moorsom St, Birmingham so I guess the restaurant couldn't have been far away from there.

Thanks,
Hywel

In the 1912 Kellys there is:
Whitehouse John, dining rooms, 36 Great Francis street.
It is not quite the other side of town, but is not very close, but , at that date, I'm not sure it is safe to assume that it would necessarily be close by

Hey that's great, thanks!
I suppose the building itself is gone now? Would there be any photos? Where should I go for more?

HI MIKE
JUST been reading the request of our friend regarding whitehouse resturant would there be any connection to the name whitehead dinning rooms
could it be the same person it listed as 10 spical street bull ring birmingham
there is a box advert in m book may i also say at the top of the advert within the box in smaller print it states established nearly a century
then under neath in bold letters whitehead dinning rooms 10 spical street bull ring birmingham and at the bottom of the block bussiness card it reads ch wickes proprieter along side of the printed story it states 1906 this establishment was demolished whenwoolworths first store was errected in 1922; alan ;; astonian;;

It is possible alan, though I do not know why the name should be changed.

Last edited:
hi mike
in my book they are listed at quite afew address around that neck of the woods and to what i could see it was an shared addrees
because looking again on number ten its actualy 10 and half how that works out i do not know but i put ten in anyway
and it gives you the impression they have been operating for years around the city
incidently i have found alot of gen and pictures from the old book i was digging out about them but also of park street thearter and the george
and of dates with it pictures of the original before and after and of a couple namely burrows and i think it is the missing lady of a request regarding stan burrows but also i said to viv about picture of the old bull ring as it was in 1800s but i will not be able to put on untill the wekend as promised
but getting back to the white heads i personal think there was a connectio but any way i will down load that advert in the block
on the page which i think its represents one of there bussiness cards used in a paper for advertising t6here bussinees
i will be in touch later with this one unless sombody can come up trumps the way you do ; best wishes Alan, Astonian;;

Hey that's great, thanks!
I suppose the building itself is gone now? Would there be any photos? Where should I go for more?

hunkeywel

Number 36 Great Francis Street would be among this group of shops and houses pictured in 1938 & 1960's Mike who is very good at this sort of thing could probably point it out on a map for you.

Attachments

• Nechells Great Francis St 1938- 1960's .jpg
    Nechells Great Francis St 1938- 1960's .jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 7
The map below c 1917 shows no 36 in red. Looking at Phil'
no_36_Great_Francis_St.jpg
s picture , I have marked with a red arrow no 36. The houses next nearest to it were probably bombed, as they are not there in the c1950 map.

map_c1917_showing_36_gt_francis_st.jpg

Back