• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WHITEHOUSE FAMILY SWAN VILLAGE.

Do you have "your" Thomas on the 1851 census?
This may help prove or eliminate the 1852 will as I think I have the one whose 1852 will it is:
Living with Nancy Downing and her son Isaac. Plus other Downings mentioned in the will.
Hi again, I do have 1851 census, Thomas living with Nancy Downing, but at that stage I did not know that Nancy was a Whitehouse, the sister of Thomas, until MWS, on this site told me today. That, more or less confirms you are on the right track as Nancy & Thomas are living in Mincing Lane, Rowley Regis, and the will of my Joseph Whitehouse, says Joseph owned two houses in Mincing Lane, which I assume Nancy was possibly renting. Joseph also had two in Hawes Lane, and 9 others in Blackheath. As I don't have Ancestry, do you know where the will was proved, and an address where I can send for a copy. Thank you so much for your information, I am so grateful for all the help that I get from you and other people on this site.

It appears that Joseph Downing was tried but acquitted.
Hi MWS, All the information you have sent me about the Whitehouse's is great and helps me further, and confirms some of what little I had got in my research. pjmburns has confirmed that the Downing's are mentioned in the will of 1852. Thomas was living with his sister Nancy Downing in 1851 in Mincing Lane, Rowley Regis, as a widower age 62, making born in 1789, although I know ages on census were not always reliable. The will I have of Joseph Whitehouse says that Joseph owned two houses in Mincing Lane. It is too much of a coincidence not to be the same family. There is just one thing that does not match though. On the baptism of Joseph in 1813, there is a note that says William, his father was 27 when he died in 1812, making him born in 1785 not 1780, coincidence that his brother was born in 1785, could there have been a mistake about Williams age at death? Also do you know who Mary re-married? Thank you so much for all your time and help, I am so grateful for the help people on this site always give.

There are deaths in 1852 for 2 people namedThomas Whitehouse one of whom is 64 which ties with the age of 62 on the census. It would be interesting to see who registered the death.

1628777869301.png

As you mentioned, for whatever reason, ages are not always reliable, so I wouldn't worry about it unduly.

It is possible that Mary (Bowater) married a John Hodgetts. It is suggested on a family tree on familysearch though the West Brom marriage someone gives is definitely wrong.

However, there is a marriage at St Phillip's, Bham that fits. And on their daughters marriage in Rowley Regis one of the witnesses is a William Whitehouse.

Mary's re-marriage looks probable.

As well as info already mentioned, John Hodgetts and Mary's daughter Ann Eliza married a James Bridge. He died in 1860 and she died in 1862. Probate mentions Joseph Whitehouse brother by the half-blood.

Mary's re-marriage looks probable.

As well as info already mentioned, John Hodgetts and Mary's daughter Ann Eliza married a James Bridge. He died in 1860 and she died in 1862. Probate mentions Joseph Whitehouse brother by the half-blood.
Thanks MWS, Just out of interest the Caroline Parsons who married Joseph Whitehouse in 1836 were my wife's 2x great grandparents, and the Maria Parsons you mentioned, was Caroline's sister, she married William Whitehouse in 1830. So, it looks like two brothers married two sisters, & you are right, Isaac was Williams son who was on the probate of Joseph's will Thanks again

Back