• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WHITEHOUSE FAMILY SWAN VILLAGE.

bombed out brummie

master brummie
Can anyone help with advice please, on where I can find who owned house's in Swan Village, West Bromwhich circa 1870-80s. I have a will in 1883 of Joseph Whitehouse born 1813, who said he was left a share of house's and land property in the will or codicil of his deceased uncle, Thomas Whitehouse, but I cannot find a will of Thomas Whitehouse leaving property. Any suggestions much appreciated

If Thomas died in 1852 then there is a will but it is one of those very hard to read ones.
Certainly mentions a William and his brother Joseph
1628608833305.png

The will is on Ancestry and the codicil does seem to mention dwellings in Swan Village. Are you on Ancestry? it comes under England & Wales: Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384 - 1858

Interesting as the name fits and there are properties in Swan Village - wonder if there is a connection?

Last edited:
Don’t know if this is of any help or even a connection, but posting it just in case. Viv.

3A91E50A-8C53-4DB7-886C-E27750C6701B.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

How do you know that the Thomas Whitehouse who left property to Joseph died in the 1870s or 80s?

I think I can tie in the Thomas Whitehouse whose will pjmburns found to 2 possible nephews named William and Joseph, sons of a brother also called William. However, Whitehouse is a popular name in that area.

The will is on Ancestry and the codicil does seem to mention dwellings in Swan Village. Are you on Ancestry? it comes under England & Wales: Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384 - 1858
Thank you pjm, I am not yet on Ancestry unfortunately, but will when the next census is out. Thanks again for your help

How do you know that the Thomas Whitehouse who left property to Joseph died in the 1870s or 80s?

I think I can tie in the Thomas Whitehouse whose will pjmburns found to 2 possible nephews named William and Joseph, sons of a brother also called William. However, Whitehouse is a popular name in that area.
Hi MWS, The only reason I thought Thomas died around the late 1870 early 1880s is that in the will of Joseph Whitehouse made in 1882 which I have, Joseph said his uncle Thomas was deceased, and that he still had not yet received his share of Thomas' will, so I thought it was reasonable to assume, rightly or wrongly, that it would not take years to sort out a will. The other information you mention is very interesting because, Joseph did have a brother William, so that would tie in with Thomas' two nephews, and also their father was also William which could be Thomas' brother. The Thomas I have found, was born or baptized in 1785, and William in 1780, all in Rowley Regis. I would very much appreciate any information you may have, and how it ties in with pjmburns info. Thanks yet again for your help which you have given me on several occasions.

Don’t know if this is of any help or even a connection, but posting it just in case. Viv.

View attachment 160226Source: British Newspaper Archive
Thank you Viv, 1863 maybe too early, as the will I have of Joseph Whitehouse in which he mentions the houses, is dated 1882, and he is still waiting to receive money from Thomas' will seems a long wait from 1863 to 1882. But I will keep it in mind just in case. Thank for your time and interest.

Yes, those are the ones I traced them back to.

I have William (1810) and Joseph Bowater (1813) Whitehouse born in Rowley Regis as sons of William Whitehouse and Mary Bowater. William the father appears to die before Joseph was born/baptised and Mary re-marries.

As you say William (1780) and Thomas (1785) were also born in Rowley Regis the son of William Whitehouse and Hannah Willetts (?). They also had a daughter Nancy (1788) and probably two more sons Joseph (1775) and Samuel (1778).

Thomas married but doesn't appear to have had any children, Nancy married (Joseph Downing) and had at least one son and four daughters. As far as I can see none of them married. The son, Isaac, seems to have been the last to die and there is probate and a mention of him in the newspaper. He appears to leaves money to a local vicar.

Back to the younger William & Joseph, I have them both marrying women named Parsons (Maria & Caroline) - sisters maybe. William's son Isaac would appear to be the nephew of Joseph's probate.

So, the elder Thomas (b1785) mentioned had 2 nephews William & Joseph like the Thomas in the Will. If his Will also mentions nephews/nieces named Downing then I think you can be certain it's them.

The1852 will I found suggests Thomas inherited the dwellings from his brother Samuel.
I am struggling to read it but Isaac Downing and several othe Downings get a mention.
1628768951315.png

There seem to be 2 codicils - the first mentions the Downings and the second William and Joseph pllus several other names.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
. The Thomas I have found, was born or baptized in 1785, and William in 1780, all in Rowley Regis. I would very much appreciate any information you may have, and how it ties in with pjmburns info. Thanks yet again for your help which you have given me on several occasions.

Thomas married but doesn't appear to have had any children, Nancy married (Joseph Downing) and had at least one son and four daughters. As far as I can see none of them married. The son, Isaac, seems to have been the last to die and there is probate and a mention of him in the newspaper. He appears to leaves money to a local vicar.

Do you have "your" Thomas on the 1851 census?
This may help prove or eliminate the 1852 will as I think I have the one whose 1852 will it is:
Living with Nancy Downing and her son Isaac. Plus other Downings mentioned in the will.

All the Downing daughters are living with Thomas and his wife in 1841.

Also there is a marriage for a Samuel Whitehouse to a Mary Downing in West Brom 1813.

There is also a marriage for a Thomas Whitehouse to a Mary Whitehouse, widow, in West Brom 1827. Wonder if she was Samuel's wife.

There is a burial for a Samuel Whitehouse of the right in West Brom 1822. Record mentions that he was either murdered or thrown from his horse and kicked.

Newspapers later in the year say that his brother in law, Joseph Downing, was charged with his murder.

Back