• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Whitehead Road School Preistley Smith School

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
:D My father, brother and sister all attended a school in Whitehead Road

This school catered for 'Low vision' children (Time line c1925 -1957).

I know one of the teachers who was there when dad was there was in the 20's was named Miss Cox and this lady had became headteacher by the time my brother and sister attended in the late 40's/50's.

The school moved about 1956/7 to Perry Common Road and became know as Preistley Smith.

I know all about the school as Preistley Smith, but would like to find out more about it when it was Whitehead Road - Even a picture of the school would be nice 8) Thanx :)

Hi Pom, the school that your dad attended for the visually impaired was part of Aston Commercial School, by that I mean it was on the same site,
to the right hand side of the school, but within the gates and we had to pass it to get into our school. It wasn't very big I don't know how many pupils perhaps about 50? but I do remember a lot of the children were albinos, very fair to white blonde hair.

Perhaps if you looked on the Holte Grammar/Aston Commercial School site, there may be some photos which show the frontage including "the blind school".

These youngsters were off to Towyn for 2 weeks. This was when the school was still at Whitehead Road. Viv.

0DF7A01D-819D-43FF-ACC9-C352BBFCEB90.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• 0494869C-5BCE-4C22-A2FF-72EC427E931E.jpeg
    0494869C-5BCE-4C22-A2FF-72EC427E931E.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
Back