• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

white swan, water street, (jewellery quarter), birmingham 1880s

Theresamb

Brummie babby
Hi all

I am new to this site and am looking for info on my ancestors. Frederick Calver was a licensed victualler (landlord ?) at the White Swan pub in what was known then as the jewellery quarter, Birmingham I think it may have been Water Street. he was there in the census of 1891. His wife was elizabeth (nee parker).

Frederick & elizabeth Calver had a daughter called Harriett who was my granny. She married Thomas Butler in July 1900 whom I think she met at the pub when he was a barman working there. My grandad is very elusive and I never met him as he died in 1933, well before my time and I have never seen a photo of him either. I was hoping that maybe someone has some photos of same - good if it was a staff photo with the landlords.

Elizabeth's mother was also a licensed victualler but at what could be the Roebuck Inn, 40 ludgate hill, birmingham after her husband died. this is listed on the 1881 census.

Any information on the above would greatly be appreciated as I have exhausted all other avenues that I can think of.

Thanks to Mike J for guiding me to the correct area for my pub query and apologies in advance for this long winded request.

Kind regards

Kellys directory lists the pub as the Swan. But the c1889 map names it the White Swan . The directory date is the publication date , and so can be considered to probably refer to the year before. Frederick is listed at that pub in the 1884 - 1892 editions but not in the 1883 or 1895 editions (though misnamed as Calvert in the 1894 edition) . Slightly curiously the landlord in the 1883 edition is Thomas Parker, and in the 1895 edition William Parker. Was there a Parker connection to your family , or perhaps the Parker family owned the pub, but Frederick was landlord for a period (or perhaps just coincidence).
In the 1883 editon Frederick was a beer retailer at 238 Camden St. He is not listed in the 1880 or 1882 editions.
In 1895 , and 1896 editions he seems to be at The Engine , 49 Dale End, but is not listed in 1899.

Just connected with the second part of your post, so realise my supposition was right about Parker.
Harriet is listed at the Roebuck in the 1876-1882 directories, but not listed at all in the 1873 or 1884 directories

Since my last post I have been looking into the Parker / Calver families and have come up with the following:

James (publican) and Harriett Parker and 6 children living at a house in Bishop Street, Birmingham with their children: Charles, james, Sarah Ann, Elizabeth & baby harriett.

James & Harriett living at The Britannia Inn, 144 Cox (?) street, Birmingham. James is the Inn keeper here.

Harriett Parker Licensed Victualler at 40 Roebuck ?, Birmingham. (One of her daughters is Elizabeth who married Frederick below)

Frederick & Elizabeth Calver at White Swan, Water Street, Birmingham. Frederick is a Licensed Victualler. These are my mother’s grandparents.

My mother’s mother is 12 year old Harriett on the 1891 census.

Re your 1871 reference in the above post, here is some licence extension info from the Birmingham Daily post. The Inn must have been given the St Pauls Square address in the notices because it was near to the junction with Cox Street. The Britannia was also known as the Britannia Commercial Inn, so I assume it offered accommodation too.

Viv.

1C082510-9339-41F7-A241-82E0AABD6A7E.jpeg
Extracted from the British Newspaper Archives

Last edited:
Harriet had the Roebuck Inn on Ludgate Hill, Birmingham. Viv.

A99120DC-97DA-4749-BA1E-3595C46E13AF.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archives.

A music licence application from Harriet ‘Parkes’ in 1876. Could be a typo I think ?

36D01143-1292-4645-A358-55F0A1203AA3.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archives

A new landlord was applying for a licence in 1883. Viv.

Last edited:
A music licence application from Harriet ‘Parkes’ in 1876. Could be a typo I think ?

View attachment 151839
Source: British Newspaper Archives

A new landlord was applying for a licence in 1883. Viv.

Thank you so much for this Viv. I wouldn't be able to find these snippets of information myself. They are helping me build up a better picture of my ancestors. Much appreciated.

Theresa, Shall follow up on the other clues you’ve given us too when I have a moment. Viv.

Oh Viv, that would be lovely. Thank you so much. Is it possible to find landlords and their staff pictures. I have been trying for absolutely ages to find a picture of my grandad Thomas Butler who I think was working as a barman for the Calvers. in fact I'm sure that this is where thomas met my granny - Harriett Calver both born in 1879 and married 29/7/1900. Harrietts dad frederick, died in 1899, the year before T & H married.

I really appreciate you offering help and accept graciously.

Theresa

Back