• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White Swan, Holloway Head

jmadone

master brummie
Screenshot 2021-03-16 075931.jpg

Does anyone have any knowledge of the pub or it's location. This was taken from the 1881 census and shows an entry for one of my ancestors on my mother's side,

In 1881 it was no 8 Holloway Head. However, around 1882 the road was renumbered and it became no 59.
The map below of the eastern part of Holloway head shows it in red, between Marshall & Blucher Streets

map c1889 Holloway head showing White Swan.jpg

Mike that's great, thank you.
I have just looked at the 1891 Census and the family are still there but as you say at number 59. The building is not named as the White Swan but his occupation remains as a beer retailer.

Last edited:
He is listed there in Kellys that I have till the 1900 edition (which would probably cover 1899), but by 1903 it is a Martin Priestly there , and in the 1904 edition the pub has disappeared. However it would seem that there was a break, as the two cuttings in 1891 and 1893 might indicate. The sale of the brewing equipment might just mean that the pub had stopped brewing its own beer, but the transfer of the licence to T. Howard in 1893 must mean he had previously given it up

B.Post. 13.4.1891.jpgB.Post. 9.12,1893.jpg

Thanks for this info Mike. Sadly Thomas died in 1900 , hence Martin Priestly having the licence by then. I'm still trying to find what happened to his family after his death.

In 1881 it was no 8 Holloway Head. However, around 1882 the road was renumbered and it became no 59.
The map below of the eastern part of Holloway head shows it in red, between Marshall & Blucher Streets

View attachment 154499
Mike - My dad was born at "Back of 28 Holloway Head" in 1896. Bearing in mind your point about the change of numbering of properties, where do you think No 28 was located? Would even numbers have been on the south side of Holloway Head, and No 28 be located between the Horse Fair and Exeter Street? The map shows only one court on the south side - too near the Suffolk Street / Horse Fair junction to be back of 28. All the other marked courts on the map seem to be on the north side.

In the 1896 Kellys no 28 was ocupied by Walter Deeley, plumbers brass founders, and was on the south side of holloway Head. . Even numbers wer on the south side, odd on the north side. Most changes from consecutive (1,2,3,4..) numbering to odd one side, even the other occurred in the 1880s, and, in the case of Holloway Head, was between the issue of the 1882 and 1883 Kelklys directory. The court had disappeared by the time of the 1950s, but is shown in red on the map below. There seem to be 2 buildings in the court which could have been occupied by your grandparents, but there could also have been a flat in the main building, which would probably have been named back 28

map 1880s showing back 28 Holloway Head.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: JLB
I think this is the Greyhound next door to Thomas Plants warehouse on Bath Row maybe a name change back in the day. i knew it back in 1963 when I worked at Plants.
If you go to post 7 , you will see that The Greyhound was at no 89

In the 1896 Kellys no 28 was ocupied by Walter Deeley, plumbers brass founders, and was on the south side of holloway Head. . Even numbers wer on the south side, odd on the north side. Most changes from consecutive (1,2,3,4..) numbering to odd one side, even the other occurred in the 1880s, and, in the case of Holloway Head, was between the issue of the 1882 and 1883 Kelklys directory. The court had disappeared by the time of the 1950s, but is shown in red on the map below. There seem to be 2 buildings in the court which could have been occupied by your grandparents, but there could also have been a flat in the main building, which would probably have been named back 28

View attachment 178119
Many thanks Mike. I much appreciate your interest and expertise. Incidentally, it was my father (not grandfather) who was born "Back of 28". At this time (1896) his father (Frank Ball) was a railway porter at New Street Station.

Back