• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White Swan, Holloway Head

jmadone

master brummie
Screenshot 2021-03-16 075931.jpg

Does anyone have any knowledge of the pub or it's location. This was taken from the 1881 census and shows an entry for one of my ancestors on my mother's side,

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 1881 it was no 8 Holloway Head. However, around 1882 the road was renumbered and it became no 59.
The map below of the eastern part of Holloway head shows it in red, between Marshall & Blucher Streets

map c1889 Holloway head showing White Swan.jpg

jmadone

master brummie
Mike that's great, thank you.
I have just looked at the 1891 Census and the family are still there but as you say at number 59. The building is not named as the White Swan but his occupation remains as a beer retailer.

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is listed there in Kellys that I have till the 1900 edition (which would probably cover 1899), but by 1903 it is a Martin Priestly there , and in the 1904 edition the pub has disappeared. However it would seem that there was a break, as the two cuttings in 1891 and 1893 might indicate. The sale of the brewing equipment might just mean that the pub had stopped brewing its own beer, but the transfer of the licence to T. Howard in 1893 must mean he had previously given it up

B.Post. 13.4.1891.jpgB.Post. 9.12,1893.jpg

jmadone

master brummie
Thanks for this info Mike. Sadly Thomas died in 1900 , hence Martin Priestly having the licence by then. I'm still trying to find what happened to his family after his death.