• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White Lion Portway

Mike Fisher

Billesley Boy
Hi

I know it's not in Birmingham but it is close.
Does anyone have a picture of the White Lion on the Alcester Rd Portway just south of Wythall ?

I thought it closed a long time ago but I might be getting my buildings mixed up :rolleyes:
Is this it?
If so, it became an Italian (?) restaurant and then a few years ago, The Pet vaccination Clinic.
Polly :)

Forgot to say, this is on the Alcester Road, Portway, Wythall

Hi Polly

Was that the White Lion, I don't ever remember it as a pub. I remember it when it was a café and my old mate and hairdresser Roger who owned a hairdressing shop at the top of Vincent St Balsall Heath owned it. I'm not sure if it was he who turned it into a restaurant. It is the veterinary service that I use now and its very good.

Phil

I'm not sure Phil - I think I'm going to phone my sister - she was a regular at a pub in Portway (the White Lion)????????
and..........SNAP..........I use that vets too!!!! It used to be nearer Alvechurch, at the Cat sanctuary, but when the lease was up they moved there. It is further for me to go now but I still use it.
Polly

The White Lion at Portway was knocked down years ago after the dual carraigeway from the M42 Island to Mappleborough Green bypassed it. With no passing trade anymore it died on it's feet. The land that it stood on is now a fairground winter storage site. The building shown in #6, now a vets, was never a pub but as said was a cafe then restaurant before the vets.

Mike i think i can recall It on the opposite side of the road was a car showroom or an Agricultural Type building sold farm equipment or both have i got the right location. Dek

That's it Dek and there is a car scrapyard next to the garage buildings and what is now a used car showroom.
Mike

Back in the 1960's I used to drive Midland Reds to Evesham on the old 148 route and the White Lion was a Fare Stage so I remember the location quite well. I think the car showroom when an agricultural place belonged to a firm called Hancocks who then moved to another showroom premises at Monkspath that is now a BMW showroom. I'm told the White Lion was famous for it's Saturday Night dances during the 1950's.
Mike

Last edited:
Yes Mike it was Hancocks you keep jogging my memory i had a caravan at Bideford On Avon and i used to drive that way every weekend during the summer months one thing that always puzzled me was a signpost with "Pink Green Only " on it. Dek

You have got the location correct dek there was a showroom further along the road from the White Lion and years ago it belonged to Bristol Street Motors who sold and provided aftersales for Fordson tractors.

Would this be it? next to the old showrooms and close to the scrapyard at Portway. It certainly looks like an old pub.

Phil

KirbyCommercials.jpg

No Phil the pub lost all it,s trade due to the duel carriageway it closed down and over the years got vandalised and was then demolished it was a large pub which stood on its own with lots of ground around it. Dek

In 1950 The Village Inn, Beoly was very popular for works outings by coach, it had dance floor & the roast pork & stuffing rolls were soon scoffed! the entrance had a grape vine growing inside, you went down Pink Green Lane to get there if travelling from Earlswood, in later years circa 1969 i went that way to visit friends in Redditch, i think The Village Inn is still open but has gone upmarket. Len.

Dek

When exactly did they demolish it, it's strange but you would think I would remember it. We used to go up and down to Portway quite regularly back in the late 60's and early 70's to buy commercial vehicle spares off Johnny Sheldon (better known as Tex) at Pavilion motor spares just down the road.

Phil

Back