• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White House Perry Beeches

Donbogen

master brummie
Do any of you folks remember the white house at the no 52 bus terimus in the early 70s it was in a run down state it had a pond we used to get our tadpoles from and there was a rope swing happy days.

Is it the White House in the pic below ?
White_House__1941.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing the photo had brought back a hazy memory of the house to me.

One of my friends lived on the Beeches Estate though nearer the stop before the terminus so I never actually got on the bus there but I seem to vaguely remember it. Must have been a proper old country house before the estate was built, it would be interesting to know more about it.

Seeing the photo had brought back a hazy memory of the house to me it would be interesting to know more about it.
The second link in post #2 leads to a thread with some information about it. I lived as a child on the Beeches Estate and posted some pics of the area here and there on the forum !

My mom and dad moved into their new Scarsdale Road house in 1937. A tale my father relayed to me was that he had visited the "White House" prior to then and found an office worker in a tizz. She apparently had been paid cash which my father confirmed were counterfeit.He checked all her coins and said numerous were dodgy.......he said that for his trouble she pushed his name closer to the top of the waiting list! It seems nothing much had changed in the area since William Booth the forger was executed.

When I moved to a newly built flat in Bromford in 1967 I had to pay the Council 30/- one pound fifty pence key money, which was returned when I left and handed back the keys.

Is it the White House in the pic below ?
White_House__1941.jpg
This used to be a small fire station during WW2. My father was stationed there for a time, but he had a dispute with the head Fire Officer. Apparently the men were expected to march on the frozen road and the whole squad was falling base over apex. My Dad decided to break ranks, and walk on the grass, which of course was a bit safer! The 'Big Cheese' had my Dad returned to Kynochs in Perry Barr, where he joined the First Aid Squad.

John

Back