• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White Horse - York Street, Harborne

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
Pub signs have changed. The White Horse seen on York Street in Harborne in 2015.

Festival Ale House.

As of 2018 now run by Ostler's.

Ostler's Alehouses

The White Horse just off the High Street back in the 60's when it was an Ansells house, and looking more like it did when I occasionally used it on a Sunday lunch time in the late 60's with a mate who worked for Ansells.

Harborne White Horse .jpgHarborne White Horse York Rd.JPG

For reasons that I am not aware of, the White Horse was owned by Birmingham City Council until a few years ago (c2011). Possibly because of the public car park behind the pub

I wonder, David, if the city had a compulsory purchase order on it in the past? Maybe they had an idea to rebuild the school next door? Something, or a garden, has been replaced by the new Harborne Medical practice the other pub neighbour.

Although I travel along and visit Harborne High Street regularly, I have not been up York Street or used the the public car park since the Harborne Medical Practice was built. I no longer live in the area. The White Horse was probably acquired by the city council at the time the public car park was laid out but that is a pure guess. The only reason that I know that the council owned it was because I saw it on a list of about 16 properties to be disposed of in the minutes of a council committee in about 2011 because I was part of a campaign to prevent the council disposing of a former school for which there was claimed to be no further requirement yet all the schools in the Harborne and Quinton area were all oversubscribed and a new school is now having to be built in the area.

Back