• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

White Horse Congreve Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
the demise of the white horse...1965

Attachments

• City White Horse Hotel Congreve St Interior.jpg
    City White Horse Hotel Congreve St Interior.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 17
Here is the earlier White Horse. Joseph McKenna did us a service in providing such an early picture. Again it is from Central Birmingham Pubs, a book worth rereading every now & again.

The White Horse Hotel as it was more or less when it was demolished, what a great pity another fine old building that was lost.

Phil

4874b4a5.jpg

thank you shirl and phil for drawing and the pic...such a shame its no longer there...

lyn

How can they demolish such a beautiful building, which council department decides a buildings fate and is it a committee or just one person, I would be interested to know. Eric

How can they demolish such a beautiful building, which council department decides a buildings fate and is it a committee or just one person, I would be interested to know. Eric

hi eric i would love to know how on earth they thought they could sweep away such buildings and try to replace them with anything as near as good..it beggers belief...i would imagine that most of the people who made these decisions all those years back are no longer with us to see the error of their judgements..

lyn

Last edited:
I cannot comment on Birmingham, but years ago in Tamworth one of our neighbours, who worked in the day at Lucas's, was on the committee which decided the buildings that stayed and those which should go. I got the feeling it was more to do with scoring points and having a few drinks (come to think of hit his nose was very red!) than for the good of the people and the town. That's why Tamworth is such a higgledy piggledy town, building wise. Perhaps it would be useful to look at the people who did decide Birmingham's fate - were they interested in making a name for themselves or were they interested in keeping Birmingham beautiful? I think I have ansered my own question there. I remember reading that the man who decided Snow Hill Station and the library should go eventually decided he was wrong - unfortunately several years too late. I believe he passed away not long after.

HI PHIL
Yes it was a brilliant picture of the orinional house in a fine glazed green tile effect if i remember it correctly
with a grand hall way entrance and the stair case as you walked in to go down stairs a fine peice of architectual work
lynn ; i have to comment on todays pics you put on because you have beaten me to the post with the two pics
firstly lichfield rd the two shops one of valmurs and now the white horse i beleive you got it from old altons book ; as i was scouring through last night and i had seen quite afew i was going to down load and they was tthe two or three and there is more in altons book that i think we could down load for our old members ; any way lynn ; keep up the good as i am watching with great intrest you are doing us all proud my girl
best wishes astonian ; alan

Thank you for adding detail to what we are learning about the White Horse, Astonian. This postcard of Congeve St helps put the pub in context.

Hi Astonian

Its entirely possible that the photo of The White Horse came from one of Alton's books originally as I think I have most of them, but its surprising that these old photos can pop up is so many books I think it also appears in Andrew Maxim's book as well as one of Keith Turners coupled with the fact that so many new photos appear on the web everyday its almost impossible to say where I got it from as I don't keep a record. I have said to myself many times that I must start to do so, but I never do.

Phil

You are a star for finding those pics, Viv. What a treat to see them. I had not realised quite what an experience it would have been to visit the White Horse. How sad the opportunity is lost to us.

hi viv just looked at the pics on the link you posted....as said many times before it makes me want to weep....

lyn

Last edited:
Agree it's shameful that so much of interest was lost. But hopefully lessons were learned from past mistakes. Judging by the efforts I've see on this forum, the future's much more promising as far as preserving and looking after Birmingham's heritage. Viv.

I sorted out this picture after reading a post by Alan on another thread.as you can see,it shows the entrance to The White House Hotel.Moss

Attachments

• Congreve Street.White Horse Hotel 1908.jpg
    Congreve Street.White Horse Hotel 1908.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 24
Could someone help. I am a "newbie" to this site. I am interested in this Birmingham venue as I am researching a "cross country" league that was formed here in 1925 and would like to obtain some images for an article. Can someone please explain how I view the "thumbnails" on the early posts as all I can see through my browser is a grey box and a paperclip. I can see the "entrance" thumbnail posted by "mossg" so I do not think it is anything technical from my end. Any help gratefully received.

I think you are referring to pictures that were lost last year as referred to earlier in the thread. I think the picture in post one and two of the pothers are those below:

White2520Horse2520Congreve_at_drawing.jpg

the_demise_of_the_white_horse_congreve_st__1965.jpg

Agree it's shameful that so much of interest was lost. But hopefully lessons were learned from past mistakes. Judging by the efforts I've see on this forum, the future's much more promising as far as preserving and looking after Birmingham's heritage. Viv.

Vic, I often think that the people who destroyed these wonderful Brum buildings, must have been blind. It's just unforgiveable what they have done to our city.

Hi Ellbrown
Do you remember the white horse pub on congrieve street it was a huge pub with a foyer entrance
and when you walk to it and turn to go in it you had to go down a flight of steps to enter the pub
It also was in a big size tiles of dark green on the out side
Looking at the last two photographs being put on it would be judging the new picture
i would say roughly it would have been on the patch where that libary was and going by the older originale
picture near the corner best wishes Astonian,,, Alan,,,

ellbrown
this was there in the fiftys it went years before the eightys and the changing of the city ,
best wishes Astonian,,, Alan,,,,

Don't remember it either, but what a grand pub/restaurant. A building built to impress. Viv.

GOOD MORNING MIKE AND VIV
Thanks a million for the picture thats the one ,yes it was very grand in its hey day
spent alot of money there and time,
I will down load that picture ,mike if thats okay have a nice day guys best wishes Alan ,, Astonian,,,,,,

This photo, of The White Horse is gleaned fro the Congreve Street thread. This new thread set up for this purpose.

index.php

v3estd.jpg

Last edited:
Back