• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White Family/White’s Garages

NickyL

proper brummie kid
Hello everyone
I’m looking for any memories, photographs etc relating to my Dad’s family, the White’s who owned White’s Garages - one in Belgrave Road (site now unrecognisable as it sat above where the underpass is) and one in Moseley Road (on the site of Birmingham Car Auctions, near the fire station).
Fingers crossed!

got a couple of garage pics on moseley road one of them is timms garage but not one of whites...will check my belgrave photos next..what years are you talking about

lyn

got a couple of garage pics on moseley road one of them is timms garage but not one of whites...will check my belgrave photos next..what years are you talking about

lyn
My Grandma was born in 1917 and we have photographs of her, as a child, at the garage on Moseley Road. They also had another, more modern (1930s) garage on Moseley Road, roughly opposite where Dixon’s (wallpaper/paint) shop was. The Belgrave Road garage was there, as far as I know, up to when the road was redeveloped. I need to check dates with my Dad. Thanks for trying Lyn.

There was a 'White's garage and removals' in Great lister st.
Thank you Bob but I don’t think that’s connected. I know that my Great Grandfather also had a haulage company but we don’t have much information about that side of things - other than a photo/postcard showing the aftermath of a collision involving one of his vehicles and a house!

My Grandma was born in 1917 and we have photographs of her, as a child, at the garage on Moseley Road. They also had another, more modern (1930s) garage on Moseley Road, roughly opposite where Dixon’s (wallpaper/paint) shop was. The Belgrave Road garage was there, as far as I know, up to when the road was redeveloped. I need to check dates with my Dad. Thanks for trying Lyn.
so they are quite old photos we are looking for then...no luck so far but never say never

lyn

So…I’ve been digging through old boxes and found this. It’s the original Moseley Road garage. I’ve photographed it in its frame, so it’s not the best quality image. This was on the site that became Birmingham Car Auctions.

Attachments

• 7FF8BFD4-026C-40F6-BC1E-6F11A171CF48.jpeg
    7FF8BFD4-026C-40F6-BC1E-6F11A171CF48.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30

Attachments

• Untitled image 2.jpg
    Untitled image 2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 26
I done a quick edit on the photo in #7 to show the double gable ends and I have circled what could be the garage building in an aerial view dated 1946.
Whites Garage.jpg
With more time I could improve the above image if required

Note 'double gable' on building in the circle on view below. Moseley Rd runs across the view from near right top right. Click to enlarge and use zoom button.

!946_MoseleyRd.jpg

Last edited:
I done a quick edit on the photo in #7 to show the double gable ends and I have circled what could be the garage in an aerial view dated 1946.
View attachment 157484

Note 'double gable' on building in the circle on view below. Moseley Rd runs across the view from near right top right. Click to enlarge and use zoom button.

View attachment 157485
OldMohawk, GREAT work and pictures! Really bought things in focus (no pun intended).

I done a quick edit on the photo in #7 to show the double gable ends and I have circled what could be the garage building in an aerial view dated 1946.
View attachment 157484

View attachment 157485
View attachment 157484

View attachment 157485
Thank you so much! That’s great :)

Hi, NickyL,
my Dad (William White) passed away in January aged 96, and left his memoirs for us to read. Dad mentions his Uncle Walt who owned one of the first garages in Birmingham, Belgrave Garage. Apparently, he had the contract for Carr's biscuits and all their big Maroon vans had his uncle Walt's name on the side 'Walter White'. It gets a little bit confusing, as Dad had an Uncle Walter White, who was his Dad's brother, and also an Uncle Walter Timms, who was his Mom's brother, who also seems to have had a yard where they did car maintenance at Hargate Lane where my Dad's family and grandparents lived.
Sorry, I have no photos of the garage, but I thought you might find this interesting, especially if we happen to be related. Gill x

There are some adverts looking for staff in the newspapers for White's Garages, mostly listing 12 Belgrave Road but some for 14 Essington St.

Not a lot to go on but there doesn't seem to be a connection between your Whites, Gill and Nicky's White.

I think your Whites (William James & Walter Frederick) were born in Dudley.

Nicky's Whites (2 branches) I think were from Cheltenham (Thomas Adolphus, garage owner) and Birmingham (John).

Obviously, mistakes are possible.

The Belgrave Garage was definitely without a doubt owned by my Dad's Uncle, as my Dad clearly states in his memoirs 'Uncle Walt had one of the first garages in Birmingham, Belgrave Garage, and had the contract to Carr's Biscuits, all the big maroon vans had his name on the doors. He lived at Hatton Hall (Warwickshire)'. Are you sure my Whites were born in Dudley, or could that be Dudley Road hospital, now called City Hospital, Birmingham, where all of my family were born?

No, not sure. I've just worked things out from the info you gave to be confirmed or refuted.

You said your dad was William, died this year aged 96. An uncle Walter White and an uncle Walter Timms.

So, there is a birth registration for a William Henry White, mmn Timms, Dec qtr 1924 West Brom.

There is a marriage for a William J White and an Alice Timms registered 1913 West Brom.

On 1939 William Henry and other White/Timms children are with father (William J) at 13 Clive St. William J White born 1889.

There is a William James White b1889 Dudley living with parents in Wednesbury (West Brom) in 1911. He has a brother Walter Frederick b1892.

There is an Alice Timms b1890 West Bromwich, she had a brother Walter.

Going back to the garages.

It seems that it's just a coincidence that White's Garage was at 12 Belgrave Road and your uncle Walt owned Belgrave Garage. There appears to be a Belgrave Garage on the Bristol Road and there may well have been others.

Further search shows that a George Frederick White is listed in the 1921 Kelly's Directory on Belgrave Road. Possibly at 207, the search results are a bit garbled and I'm unable to access the actual record.

As the numbers suggest 12 and 207 appear to be towards opposite ends of Belgrave Road.

Back