• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

White Brothers

Mrs T

Proud To Be A Brummie.
When we were clearing out our shed I came across this which I brought at a car boot years ago,thought it might interest someone.
The writing around the top says
"WHITE BROTHERS.BOTANICAL BREWERS.ASTON BROOK STREET.BIRMINGHAM."

I think I paid 20p for it!

Attachments

• 1909-Pearson-Stoneware-Flagon-Bottle-White-Bros[1].jpg
    1909-Pearson-Stoneware-Flagon-Bottle-White-Bros[1].jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 7
HI MRS T,
Intresting bottle i am a collector of bottles and flan,s and etc
brewery mobiley,i also have a old collections of leggers going back
as far and behond that date of brewers
i was wondering whether or not do you still have it and do want to sell it
if you do send me a pm and let me know
best wishes astonion ;;;;;

It's gone straight back into the shed I think,will hunt it out tomorrow.:)

What a lovely old bottle Mrs T. I think there was a thread on Whites.:)

They were listed as at 77 Phillips' St. Aston brook 1903 -1912, listed as botanical brewers. Before that (1900) the building had been J & C H Evans & Co Ltd, maltsters. In 1913 they were listed as herbal brewers in Aston Brook St (not numbered but close to Pitman health food company). They had disappeared by 1921. Its cannot be certain because of lack of numbering, but looks as if the building may have become a sterilised milk plant for Midland Counties Dairies.
It is not the same as R White, who were already going strong by 1913

hi there mike
many thanks for giving us the info; on the bottle that mrs t
had told and showed us as i am a colletor of such items
once again many thanks astonian ;;

There is an Ironmongers on the corner of Summer Lane and Loveday St called Whites when you go inside it,s like stepping back in time to the 50s having spoken to the man behind the counter the shop has been there since the mid 1800s although not the original building. Would there be any connection? Dek.:rolleyes:

Hi Ellbrown
that is a gem of a picure of whites ironmonger
and may i also say it was a gem of an ironmongers paradise you will never find a good old fashioned mongers like that
Ever again , unless of course you visit the old black country musuem
Even then they would not match up to whites heirlooms
they stocked up and out with every tool ever made on the planet
It was like some one said yes its a time warp another world and it was dark and cold feel inside the shop
the tools of yester years going back centuries if you can name it they stocked it
way back in the seventys we went there to buy some tools and Gold paint, we was recomended to go there
By some one whom used them we was totally amazed to see what we did see
and yes it was a one and only true historic building of birmingham and of historic business of brum;
best wishes Astonian,,,,

i agree with you alan..i was in there last year and its worth going in to buy something even if you dont need it:D

lyn

Was it whites ironmongery store that had a three foot long nut and bolt in the window, with a little tiny nut and bolt on the top of it?

hi mort i cant recall the large nut and bolt in the window of whites but that does not mean to say that there was not one...

lyn

Botanical brewing was a different process to that that which produced beer. It involved using a variety of herbs and no doubt the end result was suited only to those who liked the taste. Birmingham had a few botanical breweries.

White Bros was advertised as Havelock Rd Leicester in 1914, and they sold the premises in 1917.

"Botanical beer...half price of ordinary beer and a healthy beverage."

Of course there are many micro breweries these days producing strong ales that contain many spices and herbs!

Back