• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

whistle PC Thomas - New Street Police Station

florence butler

master brummie
About 25 years ago when working away from Birmingham in the south of England, my brother was given a police whistle by a Canadian antique dealer after he heard his beautiful brummie accent. Sorting through some stuff the other day, he came across it and and would love to locate the family of the PC and hand it over to them. It is heavily engraved with: BIRMINGHAM POLICE, A.R. THOMAS, NEW STREET, BIRM.

If we can't locate his family, can anyone suggest where this could be deposited to the best advantage. And...does anyone know where New Street Police Station was?

Any help, much appreciated, as always....Florence :)

Re: PC Thomas whistle - New Street Police Station

Hello Florence I would ask Dave Cross he runs the police museum and may be able to help if we have no luck he would be a great custodian for the whistle. Then again the folk here are pretty good at locating families so now we need to find A.R. Thomas.

That is a very kind gesture Florence so let's hope we can find the family.

British Transport Police have a Police Station on New St Rail Ststion.

I have been invited to Hudsons whistles in September perhaps they would know I will get in touch tomorrow to see if I can find out any think about this whistle

Florence lovely to see you posting again and hope you are fully recovered. I Hope John is able to find something out for you and welcome back. Jean.

About 25 years ago when working away from Birmingham in the south of England, my brother was given a police whistle by a Canadian antique dealer after he heard his beautiful brummie accent. Sorting through some stuff the other day, he came across it and and would love to locate the family of the PC and hand it over to them. It is heavily engraved with: BIRMINGHAM POLICE, A.R. THOMAS, NEW STREET, BIRM.

If we can't locate his family, can anyone suggest where this could be deposited to the best advantage. And...does anyone know where New Street Police Station was?

Any help, much appreciated, as always....Florence :)

Thanks all...

Wendy -I know there is a police museum at Sparkhill police station. Is it the one where Dave Cross is in charge?

mike-g - We didn't know about the information you posted. I'll pass this on to my brother. Any suggestion may be useful.

John - Looks unlikely that it is a Hudson whistle. It is a different design to the illustration and it's not stamped with the required Registered Trade mark re: article. Must have been one of the other companies mentioned I think.

Jean - Hi again. I'm okay now thank you....We're really curious about the date the whistle was made and when A.R. Thomas served in the force....Hope this works. the system has all changed since I last posted a reply. Haven't a clue about most of it.

Florence :)

Florence can you take a photograph of it to see who were the makers

Wendy - Many thanks for the confirmation. Looked on the web and the next open day is on Sunday 29 August. On a previous open day, they stated that 'members of the committee will be available to advise on family history enquiries'. Hope this still applies.

John - There is no manufacturers name on the whistle - only the wording I've already mentioned. I have taken photo's, but putting them on the forum is too complicated for me. However, if any members would be willing to add them to this thread, just for the record, in the event of family members having access to details, I will post off copies on receipt of an IM address.

Florence

Florence if you still have my email I will post any info for you just send it to me.

Hi Wendy,

Yes, I still have your email. Posting them tomorrow....All the best, Florence

A_R_Thomas2520police2520whistle2520002.jpg
Florence has very kindly sent photographs of A.R. Thomas's police whistle. I have scanned and uploaded them so we can all see it.
Florence and I hope a family member sees this post and photo's at some time and the whistle can be reunited with the family.:)

A_R_Thomas2520police2520whistle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for putting the photo's on here Wendy....I noticed on GG Jean's thread 'Yet another whistle', that you've contacted the Police Museum. Never thought of that. Let's hope we're getting somewhere now.

Regards, Florence

Florence I have trawled through some census's as well with no luck. It would help if we had a date. I had no luck on the 1911 so maybe it's later than that. If we had some info on a Police Station in New Street that may give us help with a date.

John,

Dave cross of the Police Museum has sent me a pic of this whistle---have you asked him about it. Whose is it out of interest ?Where does it come from.

I will investigate---it is not one of ours.

Yours

Simon

Just had this from Simon at Hudson's Whistles
John H P/s I have put in the right thread now

I sent the photo's to David and he forwarded them on to Hudson's. We are trying to find out who it belonged to. I think Mike G may have a clue when he mentioned the Railway Police Station in New Street.

I previously looked at new St for a police station and could not find one. however, tonight I saw one mentioned and realised that I didn't go far enough back . There was a station (I Division) at 59 New St, at the position in red on the 1890 map , though not necessarily the same building. It was there in 1845-1862. but was not mentioned in 1867
mike

map_police_station_new_st_c1845-62_on_1890_map.jpg

John & Wendy...It remains to be seen whether Hudson's will have any luck investigating this... Thanks for searching through the census returns Wendy.

mikegee...thanks for checking the maps out. Looks like we're getting a wee bit closer.

Florence

Back