• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Whisky A Go Go

View attachment 119965 Micky I do believe a book could be written about those times and the people of those iconic times even a film or TV series.
Any way Bugsy has organised another reunion on the 10th of December at The Old Contemptible Pub in Livery St. down the side of Snowhill Station from 2pm onwards. About 100 attended the last blast with also many of the girls also in attendance.

View attachment 119967

View attachment 119965 Micky I do believe a book could be written about those times and the people of those iconic times even a film or TV series.
Any way Bugsy has organised another reunion on the 10th of December at The Old Contemptible Pub in Livery St. down the side of Snowhill Station from 2pm onwards. About 100 attended the last blast with also many of the girls also in attendance.

View attachment 119967
Remember these girls….used to go to Oriel’s house to get our French crew cut every few weeks and gave Cherry a lift home on my scooter a few Times…..the best part of the evening for me….great times and great girls…Ken Fraser was my best mate …..he lives in Australia now,we are in touch regularly. Barry Hart.

I am hoping that we can hold another reunion, ideally in the summer. I think that we could all do with it after all this.
Margate memories, anyone ?
Pete Witno, where are you ?
Margate memories. Long way on a Lambretta GT. Bugsy John Jarvis getting done over by the McKinners from Ramsgate. Duffy setting fire to the kitchen and myself falling asleep on the beach in blazing sun I had not been to sleep for a while( Too many French Blues and Purple Hearts) Rolled over in my sleep woke up done both sides redder than a cocked lobster. Sick as a parrot for days. Sunstroke give it a miss.

Hi Terry. Just to let you know that Bobby Summers passed away a couple of years ago.
Can I just correct the piece about Bugsie and Ramsgate, this was clearly an urban myth, it never happened.

Last time I saw Bugsie, we had a Union meeting at the Odeon in New Street 1981. I said Bugsie what you doing here, he said I am a shop steward, I said do BT know about our past he said less said the better. He never ever denied the story, saying that he was on that much gear in those days he probably thought it happened.

Hi Terry. Just to let you know that Bobby Summers passed away a couple of years ago.
Can I just correct the piece about Bugsie and Ramsgate, this was clearly an urban myth, it never happened.
I knew a lot of us had passed away. Never hear anyone mention Pretty Graham, Noel Barnes, Declan Burn but little Freddie has had a mention. I did know about Colin,Shaun, Black H.

I remember in January 1967 being in Birmingham with Marion, Bugsie appears from out of nowhere. I do not know what he had taken scared the living daylights out of Marion.
She realised what the alternatives were out there and married me.
TDL I told a friend of mine who was one time member on BHF about your posts , he remembers Bugsie he was of the same opinion of you , if you met him around 11pm on the way home from town he was on another planet . my mate also went to plenty of the usual hangouts West End , Locarno , Le Metro , Whisky etc . He said they were great days indeed , oh one thing he added was he met Bugsie one dinnertime in the Shakespeare on Summer Row , believe it or not John as his name was fully garbed in leathers and a great big bike outside can you believe it a total turn around to what your cult was about
best wishes , keep posting my friend by the way has been banned on here

TDL I told a friend of mine who was one time member on BHF about your posts , he remembers Bugsie he was of the same opinion of you , if you met him around 11pm on the way home from town he was on another planet . my mate also went to plenty of the usual hangouts West End , Locarno , Le Metro , Whisky etc . He said they were great days indeed , oh one thing he added was he met Bugsie one dinnertime in the Shakespeare on Summer Row , believe it or not John as his name was fully garbed in leathers and a great big bike outside can you believe it a total turn around to what your cult was about
Bloggsie Bates when with Jugs O Henry, I think they played their last gig in Birmingham at Le Metro before they moved down to Lancaster Gate. Me and John Overthrow we’re down there one weekend. Sunday afternoon Bloggsie took us to an Italian Restaurant just down the road. We all ordered Spaghetti Bolognaise which non had eaten before. Now we have a problem it keeps sliding off the fork. Bloggsie said to John Overthrow give me your fork. He piled it high in the centre of his plate and bent over and just sucked it up, the speed it went in his mouth the tail ends whipped all over the place. Bloggsie sat there trying to clean his face with a knapkin.

The Shakespeare. Temple Bar in the basement, lost track of how many fights kicked off in there. Having non of that, can you believe they would start a fight wearing a Edward Lerman tonic mohair suit with hand stitched lapels. £44 guinea a time. Main culprit one Patrick Duffy. I remember Duffy having the horror’s in the Whiskey thought traffic bollards were chasing him. He was having a LSD moment. Purple Hearts and French Blues were enough for me, just wanted something to keep me awake all night.

The Shakespeare. Temple Bar in the basement, lost track of how many fights kicked off in there. Having non of that, can you believe they would start a fight wearing a Edward Lerman tonic mohair suit with hand stitched lapels. £44 guinea a time. Main culprit one Patrick Duffy. I remember Duffy having the horror’s in the Whiskey thought traffic bollards were chasing him. He was having a LSD moment. Purple Hearts and French Blues were enough for me, just wanted something to keep me awake all night.
TDL at a funeral in 2010 of one of my friends childhood / teenage mates , My friend told me he ended up with Duffy as the wake was in the afternoon , Duffy openly admitted to him at the time he would take anything in the 60's if it was anything to do with drugs . The thing is both he and Bugsie didn't realise back in those days they didn't realise how incoherent they where . Bugsie if he was clean was as astute as anyone , I've also been asked to ask did you ever frequent the Le Metro ?

TDL at a funeral in 2010 of one of my friends childhood / teenage mates , My friend told me he ended up with Duffy as the wake was in the afternoon , Duffy openly admitted to him at the time he would take anything in the 60's if it was anything to do with drugs . The thing is both he and Bugsie didn't realise back in those days they didn't realise how incoherent they where . Bugsie if he was clean was as astute as anyone , I've also been asked to ask did you ever frequent the Le Metro ?
Went to Le Metro once as Jugs O Henry we’re playing there and Colin Bates ( Bloggsie) who was a good mate of mine and John Overthrow ( better known as Lickle man as had trouble pronouncing little) was a guitarist in Jugs. Le Metro set in the arches under the railway in Livery Street if I remember right.

Went to Le Metro once as Jugs O Henry we’re playing there and Colin Bates ( Bloggsie) who was a good mate of mine and John Overthrow ( better known as Lickle man as had trouble pronouncing little) was a guitarist in Jugs. Le Metro set in the arches under the railway in Livery Street if I remember right.
Yes I'm told , also another group that frequented the Spencer Davis , and then over to the Surfside stop for a coffee .

Spencer Davis regulars at The Whiskey. Stevie Winwood was only 14/15 at the time and we were told his mother would not let him travel outside the Midlands.

Yes I'm told , also another group that frequented the Spencer Davis , and then over to the Surfside stop for a coffee
Early hours of one Sunday morning in the summer around 4ish. Duffy said who’s he looking at over there. He was on his way to knock him out as he used to say, I jumped on Duffy and said it me cousin Derek.

Now someone must know who these two girls. They dressed the same although they may have only been friends. They were always following Mary Quant clothes.
But one early Sunday morning they told a joke about I Cant Dowt A Candle. These girls were well know at The Whiskey I think they came from Great Barr. Never remembered their names.

Now someone must know who these two girls. They dressed the same although they may have only been friends. They were always following Mary Quant clothes.
But one early Sunday morning they told a joke about I Cant Dowt A Candle. These girls were well know at The Whiskey I think they came from Great Barr. Never remembered their names.
TDL Do you remember Sean Mahoney , Percy, Terry Draper , Jimmy Gunner , Bobby Barr , Leo, I don’t know how many more he’s going to come out with ? He remembers in about 67/68 Cream appeared at The Whisky without roadies they had to unload their own van in Navigation St . Clapton quite distinguishable black leather boots hair down his back and a black leather jacket .

Back