• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whisky A Go Go

Dianne havent you got any photo's to put on? I am no good with names but remember faces

Re: Whiskey A Go Go

Hi Bob

Do you remember June Foster?

She went to Whiskie, RumRunner, cedar, etc etc, she lived in Acocks Green and ended up with a guy named Bob who lived in Old Lode Lane , she was stunning and all the guys were literally queing up to take her out ?... she my best mate (won't be when she finds out I been asking about her though!!!!) , she and Bob had a daughter named Samantha (named after nightclub)

Dianna
there where some stunning girls in town during the 60's, including Patty and the girl I married my wife Maxine, see photo. And another one with me and Maxine with a monkey. thats the monkey in the middle and me with a beard so you can spot the difference, haha!!
I can't remember your friend June Foster, but recall her name. Can you post a photo of your selfs??

Hi bob

I am now in the process of asking her brother for some photo's of her when she was young! (she will kill me when she finds out!) .. as for me you wouldn't remember me at all, I am 53 years of age and I was just too young to be clubbing way back in the mid sixties (mind you my 13 year old grandaughter thinks she should be allowed to go clubbing :rolleyes:)... only place she allowed at the moment is the youth club on a friday night and even then she has to be collected by 10pm

Burm night club photo's

Whoppieeee! At last everyone we now have our glorious Brummie clubs on its own forum thread, Shame we could not have bought all the original post's over from BREWERIES.

Can I ask if anyone has photos taken in our 60's night clubs to post them here as they are very rare!!
Who had a camera in those days?

Re: Burm night club photo's

It wasn't always the drink that left people shaking frothblower!

I will start the ball rolling, its a photo of old pals in the Cedar Club 1968 circa. Note the cedar wood behind them all.

Cant wait to see the photo's, sadly I haven't any my ex would have them if there were some and I am not going to ask for them.

This book is worth checking out,"The Rough Guide To Souland R&B".I/m sure it was Christmas 65 saw The Graham Bond Organization up the Whiskey,took alot of these pages to Dave Williams he,s suffered poor health and he used to live up there,he,s 62 take care.Housewives Choice which i first heard up there was only played on "Sound of the 50,s"the other day.

Last edited:
Re: Whisky A Go Go / Crazy E

I was the disk jockey on the second floor in 1965 /66........I first went to the Whisky in a full length white leather coat....Nitso Ronny, the manager took me into his office told me I had arrived in Birmingham....he took the coat and locked it away until the club closed, then gave it me back! I loved Ronny...fat bloke with ginger hair, where is he now

The second floor was where the bands played....the small corner stage had a single light bulb over it and nothing happened when the band wasnt playing. I suggested to Ronny that I played some records and put some lights over the stage....he agreed and paid me £2.10 shillings [£2.50] to work from 12 midnight till 7am....supply your own blues. The lights were baby milk tins with coloured bulbs in them!

I remember bands like The Small Faces, Georgie Fame [saw him recently and even he remembered getting his Hammond up those f'in stairs! and my favourite Graham Bond..with Ginger Baker [heh Ginger], Dick Heckstal Smith and Jack Bruce [later to become Cream]. The favourite record of all time was Shotgun Wedding by Roy C, the greatest LP The Sue Story

The name changed to the "Crazy E"

Chris and Steve started to go to the Isle of Wight during the week...I took them in the back of my van every Sunday....we put a settee in and they sat and drank vodka and bitter lemon all the way to Portsmouth.....

They bought a club on The Isle of Wight called Chequers [Pete Van Buren joined us but that's another story]. I moved over and we had a great couple of years running the place. We had weekly residences with Ten Years After, Skip Bifferty, etc. The Hippies had arrived though and everything changed.....

I've just retired and am writing up some history......this site is just great and I'll use it to base my research on the Birmingham bits. If anyone remembers The Green Onion in Coventry or the greatest Mod club ever...The Gaff, Banbury please drop me a line

Welcome to the forum Spike i used to go to the Whisky in the 60s saw some great bands there i bought Graham Bonds L P (Theres A Bond Between Us) i thought he was great,he got killed by a train on the undergound but nothing was proven

Modmossy

I was only trying to think the other day what the guy with the gingwer hair was called, I'm sure he came to Margate with Shaun and us all

Re: Whiskey A Go Go

Hi Spike
Ronnie Wicheler locked your coat away because it would have been nicked!!
Ronnie is still around and living in Brum as is Steve Healey the owner. Sadly I think Chris is no longer with us.
Great Days those soul, stax and blues days. If you would like to contact Steve send me an Instant Massage and I will give you his details.
I doubt if you could open a club nowadays that had only one entrance up and down those horrible wooden stairs. Its a wonder that the gaff never burnt down with all the smoking that went on in the Joint!!??:cool:

Just to let you all know that the funeral of the passing off the King of The Mods Sean O'Mahoney.
His Funeral requiem mass was held at Corpus Christi Church Stechford on Thursday the 5th June 2008.
Both his brothers Paul and Timmy where there with his two sisters and his wife and children all gave him a good send off, with many of his old townie mates in attendance. It was very solum affair with a full quire in the church
Sean was buried at Witton Cemetery and was carried from the church in a two horse carriage. His coffin was dressed with just white Lilies and his white cap. The two beautiful black stallion's where draped in the Irish tricolor flag and was a sight to be hold. Sean was laid to rest under two grand poplar trees at the bottom of the cemetery.
The Wake was then held at the Emerald Club in Green Lane Small Heath, where his family and friends celebrated his distinguished life.

I have just read this,not been a member long> I knew Sean and worked with Noel Barnes. Any chance of seeing tje pic please? thanks

I will try but due to the photo hack it might not work, failed this time as photos on my old hard drive. Which photos are of interest too you Tony?

Nice to see any pics of Sean or Noel Barnes. I lived near Sean when he was near the Yew Tree pub in Yardley - had a few beers with him there. Noel worked with me at Southalls Computer Centre Alum Rock. Both guys were originals, mould broken at birth as they say !!!!

Unfortunately none of the attachments will open due to the site being hacked. I saw Charlie and Inez Fox at the Whisky and either Steam Packet or Shotgun Express (always get those two bands mixed up) it was a memorable time for me and the start of my clubbing experiences

Stumbled on your post looking for something else Bob. Wow. I remember the name Whiskey A Go Go but I can't remember where from. Born at the end of the 50's. Too young I suspect. Am unsure what The Leofric Cov is now but the big stars used to stay there. The Matrix Club I have been to, that is now a tool hire firm and The Forty Thieves Mum and Dad went once. This has been dismantled now sadly. Do you recall a Martin Perdine? I think he played with the Down County or Country Boys? I used to work with him much later on, his band supported PJ Proby and toured the USA around Memphis. He was a Ted at one point. He would be over 70 now but still plays and sings. Somone mentioned the Green Onion in Cov I never heard of that one. The Live bands were at The Locarno, The Smithfield, now gone, The Antelope Club, The Henry Fry Club for deaf people.The Sportsmans Arms on the Birmingham Road was good. That's still there but called something else now. Canley WMC now closed hosted the likes of Edmund Hockeridge and PJ Probyand we saw Frank Ifield at the Hippodrome Cov,Shirley Bassey, Mrs Mills! The Troggs, Dionne Warwick supported by the Flying Pickets, Dave Berry, Wayne Fontana, Billy J Kramer, Barbara Dickson all just before they shut it down. What an interesting post.

Nico, thanks for your enthusiasm about the Whiskey a go go. The original place was and still is in Los Angeles. As I have written the one in Birmingham was only open for 3 years but was very iconic, as it was one of Britain's first all night clubs and was famous for its music, fashions and culture in a Britain was starting to buzz after the very gray days and years after the end of the 2nd world war. It was a great era to be a teenager believe me.

Back