• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Which Railway Station?

postcardjohn

I recently picked up this postcard, probably circa 1900.
Is anyone able to identify the location.
As you can see the Birmingham coat of arms is above the entrance.
The building on the right says London & North Western Railways Parcels Office.
The building on the left says Midland Railway Parcels Offices.

Attachments

• Scanbrum.jpg
    Scanbrum.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 46
I recently picked up this postcard, probably circa 1900.
Is anyone able to identify the location.
As you can see the Birmingham coat of arms is above the entrance.
The building on the right says London & North Western Railways Parcels Office.
The building on the left says Midland Railway Parcels Offices.
Is it Queens Drive which ran between LMS & LNWR sides of New st station? Only other parcels would have been Curzon St.

I thought the sign on the extreme right might help, but not sure it does. After fiddling a bit it shows it to be W Davis & Son , picture framers. #the 1895b Kellys shows them (without the "& son"at 5 & 6 Edgebaston St and 21 Bishop St, and the 1908 Kellys shows 5 & 6 Edgebaston St and 26 Freeman St. These do not seem to fit, so sign must be advertising, not the site of the firm

Scanbrum part.jpg

Thanks for your replies.
At first glance at the link posted by knobbydave, it looks as though the entrance may have beed superimposed over the existing photo, but strangely the original left hand gatepost seems to have moved to the left with no attached railings.

At the top of the left hand column there look to be some initials. Is it to do with the coronation of Edward VII?? On the right hand side it says AR (Queen Alexandra?)
1583792827760.png

This gets more intriguing.
Thanks I didn't spot that.
The back of the postcard unfortunately does not have a photographers name, but has Inland 1/2d and Foreign 1d on the back, which I beleive dates it to between 1891 and 1921.
So this could have been installed for the coronation of Edward VII 1901 ?

It’s the 1909 School of Art decorative arch. Must have been for the visit of the King and Queen. Viv.

Attachments

• 545B3479-A0F6-4628-967E-16F1FAED05F0.jpeg
    545B3479-A0F6-4628-967E-16F1FAED05F0.jpeg
    847 KB · Views: 23
Back