• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Which One

GEFF

Geff
I have researched my G.G.Grandfather back to his birth in 1771 via the 1841 census. I now want to go on to Parish Records. Which can be recommended? "Ancestry.co" is chargeable and "Familysearch.org" is free, which would suit me being an old pensioner, can anyone put me on the right track please.

Geff they do have parish records as you say on Ancestry, sometimes you do get free weekend so you can log on there, so if you can wait it might help you then. I suppose you should try familysearch to see in the first instance you can find anything.

Can you tell me if you sign into familysearch or Ancestry on a free weekend and you let them have your email address, do you get flooded with junk mail, as I am so reluctant to sign in or be hacked etc. Thanks for any advice - not very confident Chris

Why would you be flooded with email? Only Ancestry will have your email and you will have the option to unsubscibe or even block.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I am a pen and paper person, not confident with technology, have had my laptop frazzled for want of the correct words, my kids said I must have accepted something - I am over cautious and reluctant with what I am not sure of and anything wanting you to register and enter your email address worries me. You have no idea how long I browsed this forum before I got my son to register for me. In fact I accidentaly deleted the email for this link and went onto the forum via another email link sent from the forum. Some people are more confident with all types of things than others. It is just the way I am

Sorry Chris I did not mean to upset. The more usual cause of nasties is clicking on links in emails or downloading stuff from 3rd party sites. You can always ask for help on here so ignore my response.

The main thing with the free period is to make sure you cancel just before it expires if you have to provide bank card details.

Oh sorry, I know you meant no harm, but I also had some sort of virus thing on my email some time ago and I don't know how I got it and I had to phone my sister up and tell her not to open any of my emails, and my kids sorted it out, that's probably why I am so paranoid, what I am not sure of I steer away from. One minute I am told just have a go click and see what happens, next minute I am told the opposite, so to avoid problems I suppose I have built a barrier, sorry if I waffled on
best wishes, Chris

Always go free first. If you don't find what you're looking for you've lost nothing.

Also, not all parish records are available online yet.

GEFF. Why not tell us who you are looking for?

If you don't feel comfortable on Commercial sites, why not try your local Library? They will normally have free access and someone to guide you along.

Alternatively, check if there are any night school classes on the subject. I realise that you are now 'out of area' but my late sister enjoyed it not only for the social side but also for the trips they had to various research locations.

Hello Chris, Familysearch still works even if you don't sign in. I think registering with them is to help you save a family tree online. I did sign up and I don't get junk mail. I don't really get any from Ancestry either.
I feel the same as you about registering!!! I still haven't joined any of those "social media" sites.
rosie.

I am registered with Ancestry and the only emails I get are to tell me of likely links but I could stop these. Alternatively tell us who you are looking for and, I am sure, someone will help. (Although the fun, for me, is in the search).

Janice

Hi Ken_r, Thanks for offering to look up my ancestors, and thanks to the others who replied. I have got as far as my G.G. Grandfather via the 1841 census. Samuel Bennett. Born 1771. Married 1819. Died 1846, all events happened in Radford Semele Warwickshire. His spouse was Elizabeth Ward, 30 years his junior. My G. Grandfather is on that census aged 14. I am now looking for Samuels father and mother. I have tried the Library with "ancestry.co" but without any result from Parish records. It becomes more difficult as the years go by to use these modern devices, I am a few weeks away from 89 but like to keep going. thanks again for volunteering. GEFF

Thanks for reply I am not on any "social media" site either, sometimes I would like to be as my neighbour mentions things about what my sons and daughter are either doing or going to do that they haven't told me (perhaps that's the idea)!!
Chris

I have been trying to find my father's mother. He found out he was adopted when he went to enlist ww2. His father would not give him his "papers", but his dad showed them to the officer who was looking at my dad and nodding. When my dad asked what was going on he was told he was adopted and his mother's name was Mary Mead. After advice (again from the forum - thank you very much) I got a copy of his birth certificate and found out that his birth name was not Stanley King, but Stanley Mead and his mothers maiden name was Dorothy Emma Mead born 1897, Stewkley, Bucks. The address on his birth certificate was 56 Chattaway Street, Birmingham, her sister Florence May Taylor who lived there with her husband Gershom Marriott Taylor (that sounds posh). I have tried to track her down, but with no success. One Dorothy Mead turned out to be a neighbour we once lived by, but the age was wrong. If you or anyone can help in any way I would be grateful. Many thanks, Chris

Geff:

Don't forget that though it is far from complete yet - largely due to the intransigence of record offices, there's also FreeReg at
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search/
If you want to know the current state of individual parishes, into your browser type FreeReg followed by the name of the county. You will then get a link to the appropriate page showing which parishes are being transcribed and if any headway has been made.

Maurice

I have been trying to find my father's mother. He found out he was adopted when he went to enlist ww2. His father would not give him his "papers", but his dad showed them to the officer who was looking at my dad and nodding. When my dad asked what was going on he was told he was adopted and his mother's name was Mary Mead. After advice (again from the forum - thank you very much) I got a copy of his birth certificate and found out that his birth name was not Stanley King, but Stanley Mead and his mothers maiden name was Dorothy Emma Mead born 1897, Stewkley, Bucks. The address on his birth certificate was 56 Chattaway Street, Birmingham, her sister Florence May Taylor who lived there with her husband Gershom Marriott Taylor (that sounds posh). I have tried to track her down, but with no success. One Dorothy Mead turned out to be a neighbour we once lived by, but the age was wrong. If you or anyone can help in any way I would be grateful. Many thanks, Chris

Gershom and Florence Taylor are on the electoral roll in 1935, 1945, 1950 and 1955 as living at 337 Stonehouse Lane - these are the only ones I can see online. In 1920 Gershom is listed at 56 Chattaway Street.

There is a death listed for a Gershom Marriott Taylor in 1979 at Bromsgrove.

Janice

Thanks, for help, I am wondering if Dorothy was really living with Florence and Gershom or just put that address on my dad's birth certificate. Dad often said how strict the nuns were at the school he went to as a child, and could rattle off Latin. I wonder if it was really an orphanage and not a school and he was unaware. His mom Dorothy has done a good job of hiding herself. Thank you Janice for your time and help (a few more notes for my notebook).

Thanks again, Chris

Back