• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Which Barker Street?

maggiesgirl

proper brummie kid
I have on 1881 census a family at no, 41 Barker Street, Birmingham - RG11 piece 2969 folio 27 and page 47. I am lead to believe there were/are 2 Barker Streets would anyone be able to tell me which one this was please? The family after are at no.1 back 41 Barker Street. Thank you.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 1920 electoral roll does not list any back houses at no 41 (or around) for the Barker st in Lozells , and this is confirmed by looking at the c1889 map. However the 1920 roll does list 1 back 41 Barker st at Barker st, continuation of Sheepcote lane. , and this is confirmed by the map below, which shows back 41 in red . This street no longer exists.
mike

Last edited:

ladylinda

master brummie
Hi Maggie, it would be in the King Edward Road/Monument Road/Shakespeare Road/St Marks Street.
Ladywood area.
The other Barker Street was Lozells area and had no back houses in 1881

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi maggie;
good morning to you its four thirty in the morning ; and mike and linda are both correct; especialy mike
its runs into sheepcoate lane and then barker street and our linda ; as told you that its it runs into a couple miles square
and the area which barker street is called ladywood ;
and i can tell you thats all true i lived at 243 king edwards rd and i know ladywood like the back of my hand
at the one end of barker street is kingedwards rd and the top end is shakespear rd which when you walk up barker street from the bottom end
is king edwards rd and on the corner is hickmans family fruit and vegwhom have been there since dot they used to hang al there wild fowl up side down on hooks and sold the fruit and veg there is some pics onhere as well to go with the threads
and when you lok up or walk up barker street you come to shakespear rd which when you walk up that rd which is a very long rd you come to
the junction of monument rdwhich runs a cross and cross straight over you come into cope street which goes down hill
there is a couple of other members on here whom come from barker street but i will not tell there names and of course shakspear rd
and if they se your thread i am sure they will also fill you in on the area ;
i myself can do that but i would like ourother friends to put inthere childhood memors of the schools in and around the district
and i knew our friends fromyoung days as well as we were growing up in the area;
about the local church and of nelson street school which was just across the king rdwards rd and of a mr ingram way back in the early years whom became a inportmant man in the education dept in brum and went big in name he was well known he was the head master there at nelson street for many , many years
the barker street you require is ladywood and may i had that ifyou go on to the ladywood sight you will see alot of the older generation of barker street on there with there momories and there family photos
have a nice day best wishes astonian ; alan;;

maggiesgirl

proper brummie kid
Good morning all

Thank you Mike, Linda & Alan. All info is very much appreciated, this is the first branch of my ancestry that have Birmingham connections so this is all really new to me and I don't know the area at all. That would make sense to me though, as I've read a reference to the ladywood area in previous census for this family.
Thanks so much I'm off to study the maps.
Maggie

andrewlong

proper brummie kid
I have an Edwin and Lucy Jane barker nee Dutton living at 46 Barker Street at time of 1881 census. Please could you point out where 46 would have been on the map? Are there any photos which show this stretch of the road ? I have been Barker Street photos on other sites but cannot work out location because I am unfamiliar with area ?

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Andrew
Glad to help a fellow person from Reading with an interest in Birmingham. Below is a map pub 1889, but probably surveyed about 1884-6, showing no 46 in green . Also a streetview picture of it as it is today. It is the centre of the three houses. It would seem to be the same brick shell, though probably not much else.

andrewlong

proper brummie kid
Thanks but you may made the same mistake as me - I am after 46 Barker Street in Ladywood hence appending it to this post. The view you show is in Lozells I believe and is the other Barker street!

The reason I say this is Edwin Barker was living in Campden Street at time of his death in 1884 which us a lot closer to the Ladywood Barker Street than this one.

Thanks for the quick reply and an answer to my earlier question in the Ladywood area would be great. I appreciate street no longer exists and is a recreation ground!

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew

This is Barker St Ladywood and I think it is taken looking toward Nelson St from Garbett St, if so then number 46 would be in view if the numbers are odd on the one side and even on the other (this side). If it is the correct side then I'm sure Mike will be able to point you at the right house.

Attachments

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Andrew , I should have asked which one. You are correct. Andrew Barker, screwmaker is listed at 46 Barker St Ladywood in directories dated 1872-1888 . All the dates of directories are dates of publication, and the information usually refers to at least 1 year before.
In 1873 the directory lists him as a brassfounder's screwmaker.
In 1868 he was listed as at 41 Barker St, though I am not aure whether this was the same house renumbered. In 1867 he is at no 17, which I think is a different building, but am not sure.
In 1862 he is listed as at 20 Ryland St north.
The 1858 the description is: Barker Edwin, mfr of patent taper screws, coach and stove screws, bolts, shanks, &c., Adderley screw works, Watery lane;h, 26, Upper Marshall st
He is not listed in 1855 or 1890.

The map giving the position of no 46 in 1881 is below, no 46 in blue . (I have used an earlier prepared map originally for another purpose, so ignore red numbers.)

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure you are right in that the picture is looking down toward Nelson St, from the corner with Garbett St, but wrong side of road.

andrewlong

proper brummie kid
Thanks Mike for your response. I've been onto the Old Ladywood web site and have been looking in the Barker Street photos for street views with building gaps.

The photos from the 1960s show a run down area. Was it always like this ?

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, some buildings have been pulled down in some of the photos, an when they were new the houses were in better condition, but, as far as I know those were probably hte first buildings on the site in most cases.
With regards to your no 46. the top right picture on the Ladywood site (marked Feb 1967 and with a bomb/demolition area to the front), shows no 46 at an angle. There are two blocks of houses with a space between them. the space is the space between 41 & 46 on my map. I have not reproduced the photo as the site claims copyright. I think it very unlikely that they can claim that on this photo, as it looks like one taken by the corporation prior to demolition, but am not out to cause arguments.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Incidentaly, the nearest part of the row in the photo (no 49) used to be a pub , The Rose Tavern

andrewlong

proper brummie kid
Mike - fantastic. Thanks for your most thorough reply. I notice the building has a large doorway so I am assuming it would have been used as both a residence and workshop.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
YES. It looks on the map in post 12 as if the yard behind is associated with no 46