• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where You Played Then - What's It Like Now.

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
I've found Ian's 'then and now' photos in this section great to look at, and hope it's ok to put this in.
I can remember my 'then' photo being taken, I'm in it.
A photo of our cycle speedway team on our play field in the 1940's. We couldn't imagine then that the mighty M6 motorway would now cover it. The houses behind were built in the 1930's. Wonder what the M6 will look like 50 years from now ?
Grindleford_Bike_Gang.jpg

GrindlefordRdKidsBikes.jpg

Last edited:
Slightly off subject. We had a friend (who hadn't been back to Brum for about 10 years) come and visit us in Tamworth. He was driving from Coleshill, used to be quite a straight route. He was in bits after his trip, almost in tears, the road had changed so much, loads of new traffic islands.

OldMohawk what a great photo of your speedway cycle team. I love the fact a couple of lads have goggles........brilliant!

Hi Wendy - The goggles were copied from the Brummies speedway team. I remember being showered by ash as we watched them racing at Perry Barr. I'm not sure why the girl was in the picture, she was quite prim and proper and didn't usually mix with the 'ruffians' in the street.
oldmohawk:)

Back