• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where would they have been buried?

traceypeace

Hello, I am trying to track a couple of graves (hopefully they weren't cremated) for a friend of mine. Her mother died in Selly Oak Hospital (possibly still the workhouse??) in 1943, then her father in 1944 in the City Sanitorium. Her and her 3 siblings were put into an orphanage, one of which was Shenley Fields, which is how I found this website when doing some research!

Their home address was a road in Tyseley according to both their probate records and I wondered where they would have been buried? I'm quite new to family history and I wouldn't really have any idea where to start! I've checked Findmypast, Ancestry and Freereg.org but can't find burial records.

Assuming the worst and that they were cremated, where would I go to find records of this?

Many thanks in advance
Tracey

Tracey:

My guess, looking at all my LONGMORE burials around that time, is Yardley Cemetery, but there are no hard and fast rules on this. The new Library of Birmingham has the cemetery indexes on microfilm, but if there was already a purchased plot in another cemetery, they could end up there. There's a page of contact details here: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Sa...981&pagename=BCC/Common/Wrapper/InlineWrapper

As I left Birmingham in 1961, someone may have more up-to-date information.

Maurice

Thank you, my husband thought it may be Yardley as he has a rough knowledge of the area. I'm intending to visit the new library in the next couple of months as it supposed to be marvelous!

Back