• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where would my Grandfather be?

S

sophiesmom

I am new here, so please forgive any perceived ignorance.
I have posted on the Shops section and received tremendous information and was wondering if I could get a little here.
I am researching my grandfather, civilian war dead, ARP, (sadly listed on records as not having relatives, but here I am!) buried in Birmingham Cemetery. When I Google it, I get a return of 5 cemeteries in Birmingham and I would love to know where he is. William John Whitehouse, died in Saltley.
I did a search on the photographic records of the War Graves Commission, and found the name, but am unable to order a photo as such an undertaking makes the records incomplete.
The only lead I have is that the reporting authority is "Birmingham, County Borough" Would anyone know where this is? My mom has never been to his grave, and I will be seeing her and her sister very soon.
Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for the link. Yes I have date of death on 10 April, 1941.

sophiesmom

I cannot tell you at what cemetery your grandfather is buried....according to the little bit of info I have he was killed at 185 Great Francis Street, it also states that it was his home address as well...?, sorry I wish I could help you more......., please let us all know if you are able to find his grave....we like to hear about happy endings....

Wendy
Please note BARRA cannot Guarantee to be at Key Hill Cemetery on Saturday.
But will do their best.

Sophiesmum,

Contact BARRA - Birmingham Air Raids Remembrance Ass ( rather than the Swanhurst site )
You can download a membership form or contact Either the Chair , Vice Chair or Archivist - details listed on site . ( note website is under construction )

They may hold further information as to where your Grandfather's body was taken. Often makeshift Morgues were used.

Some bodies were listed as unidentified at the Morgue. It was not until there families came forward to state that they were missing that their names were noted.

BARRA would be interested in your Family Story for their Achives.

I think the first two Cemeteries I would contact are
Witton Cemetery and Yardley Cemetery direct .
Birmingham Central Library also hold records.
It may well be that your Grandfather may be buried in a family plot in a Church Yard , rather than a Cemetery.

Are you aware of any Brothers or Sisters that your Grandfather had ?
Perhaps their descendants may remember where he was buried.
Try contacting Website Genes Reunited to see if your extended family has listed your family names.

Bo

Thanks so much for the links, everyone here is SO increadibly helpful. I will most certainly follow up on them.
I don't believe there were brothers or sisters but I am currently working on that. The War Commemorative book lists him as having no relatives.
Also the Ministry of Defence office has some forms to fill out that I hope to do for my mom as there is a recognition medal available, if he qualified, for being in the Civilian Fire service
Three of the girls were evacuated at the time and the oldest (my aunt) remembers a weekend visit by my grandmother to tell them that their dad had been hospitalized, but the next day at school, their schoolmates asking if they knew that their dad was dead. I suppose she hoped to break it to them gently.
I have only been doing research for a couple of weeks so please feel free to give advice and let me know if my post should be in a different area.
Thanks again!
Sophie

sophiesmom hi here is 3 shots in the dark, saltley there,s a cemertry in ash rd ,St james (NOT THERE ANY MORE) st mathews both in nechells now.were within 1 mile of gt francis st. Dek

FOUND (sort of)
Yardley Cemetery. Just a 'vase' marked Daddy.....
I'm going to try to get a photo.

sophiesmom, Birmingham, County Borough, who reported your G/Fathers death covered Birmingham & Districts at the time, the name is now West Midlands Authority. Len.

Len, thank you so much for the information, it's a great help!!
I'm going to find out if something more 'befitting" as a marker, could be placed. We'll see.

Back