• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where was your first holiday?

I remember a school trip to Dovedale at the tail end of my time at St Andrews, Ada Road. It sticks in my mind because I lost a folding penknife there that I had only had for a week, and of which I was very proud. Why did I have a penknife with me on a school trip ? Because it was 1960/1 and things were different then.

Andrew.

I was one of the nuisances who were travel sick and often ended up sitting by the coach door ready for a quick exit. It wasn’t until I started Driving coaches as part of my job as a PSV mechanic that the sickness stopped. I used to love doing the Friday overnight trips to South Devon, even though it was a demanding journey, and finally got my wish to live in Torquay.

Where was your first holiday? I just don't remember. I was born in 1940, my siblings post war so too young to help. There were anti invasion defences on the strand, there was a four funnel liner in the Solent, I remember being so confused by the word "quay", sea sick on a boat trip around the Isle of Wight, red squirrels. Ryde IOW perhaps?

I remember a school trip to Dovedale at the tail end of my time at St Andrews, Ada Road. It sticks in my mind because I lost a folding penknife there that I had only had for a week, and of which I was very proud. Why did I have a penknife with me on a school trip ? Because it was 1960/1 and things were different then.

Andrew.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot (123).png
    Screenshot (123).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot (124).png
    Screenshot (124).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Images from my first holiday, in August 1936:

Outside the farmhouse where we had digs, in the South Hams area of Devon. Held proudly by my big sister.

FMCMSA1937GCMAlbumP14.jpg

And during the same holiday. My first toe in the sea (or, more likely, estuary - probably East Portlemouth, opposite Salcombe).

FMCMDevon1937GCMAlbumP14.jpg

Chris

I don't remember it (I was still in a pram at the time!) but it was at Walton on the Naze, staying with relatives.

It's nice looking at old holiday photos in this thread, simple life satisfied us then. My 2nd holiday was a Scout Camping holiday at Beaudesert on Cannock Chase. Unfortunately got no photos, but I've always liked that area. One thing I remember was watching wasps catching flies in the air, never seen it since, hope I didn't imagine it !

My first holiday without 'bossy' grown-ups was at Combe Martin in '54 - two weeks of glorious sun. We had a big bell tent. We didn't have a table so made one from branches. Primus Stoves to cook, and I think I can see Branston Pickle in our cardboard box larder. Looks like salad, big tomatoes in the teatime pic. Dress was optional. We drank Double Diamond in Berynarbor and went on a day trip to Lundy Island in a Paddle Steamer. I didn't have another holiday until 1972 apart from 2 years National service in the RAF.. :D

To see the pics click on 'thumbnails' click again to enlarge

View attachment 171818 View attachment 171819 View attachment 171820 View attachment 171821 View attachment 171822 View attachment 171823 View attachment 171824
Just read this oldMohawk (before I joined BHF) pretty cool stuff! Reminds me of being in Cornwall with friends circa 1960!

My first and subsequent 1960's, August Bank holidays were spent (from very early Sunday morning until Tuesday late morning), in Barmouth. We would travel down in the old van (with beef dripping sandwiches) and my Mom & Dad would pitch a tent up near Dolgellau (before Billy Cotton's band show had finished on the transistor radio). My Nan and I, would sleep in the back of the van on a mattress. Dad would cook breakfast on a camping stove, on Monday and Tuesday and we would spend our time walking in the hills, when I wasn't riding the Fairbourne miniature railway/Barmouth donkeys (for as long as my annual savings lasted me), or on the beach (with bucket, spade & paper flags) or in the sea at Barmouth. Happy times! (Barmouth & Dolgellau below):
1661440315964.png 1661440391836.png 1661440532919.png

First holiday was Pontin's Lytham St Anne's, 1972 or 1973 not sure. Only thing I remember was I got upset because I wanted to be in the chalet with my brother.

First memory also.

I remember a day trip to Barry Island. It was coach tip from our avenue.

My first proper holiday was to Hayling Island. I would have been about ten years old.

Steve.
A picture of me taken on that holiday.

I'm the one with the monkey on my shoulder, by the way. :laughing:

My next holiday was when I was about fifteen. A school trip to Belgium.

Steve.

Images from my first holiday, in August 1936:.............

............And during the same holiday. My first toe in the sea (or, more likely, estuary - probably East Portlemouth, opposite Salcombe).
Forward two years, to 1938. Same beach. (Sister, brother, Mum, me and our beloved dog).

SAGMFMCM1936or38E.jpg

"What a wonderful world it is...."

CMBeachDevon1938img.jpg

"So full of interest...."

CMHolDevonBeach1938img092.jpg

"Oh, blimey, not ANOTHER snap, Dad!"

CMBeachDevon1938img376.jpg

Sunny days for me. But darkening clouds for the grown-ups.

Chris

My first holiday was in August 1946, an exchange holiday with Dutch children arranged by Handsworth Tech. Dutch Kids came over here and stayed for two weeks with us and we then went over there and stayed for two weeks with Dutch families. There was no cost for accommodation but £25 for travel. We sailed on a troop ship going from Harwich to Hook of Holland overnight and trying to sleep in bunk beds. I say trying, as there was a severe storm and we were swinging from side to side all night. Most of the kids were sea sick. The bowls of porridge they dished up at 5am were sliding along the table if you didn't hold on to them. Most days the family I stayed with had porridge for their sweet. At the end of the holiday my suitcase was packed with grapes they gave me as we never had such luxuries. Happy memories!!

My first holiday was in August 1946, an exchange holiday with Dutch children arranged by Handsworth Tech. Dutch Kids came over here and stayed for two weeks with us and we then went over there and stayed for two weeks with Dutch families. There was no cost for accommodation but £25 for travel. We sailed on a troop ship going from Harwich to Hook of Holland overnight and trying to sleep in bunk beds. I say trying, as there was a severe storm and we were swinging from side to side all night. Most of the kids were sea sick. The bowls of porridge they dished up at 5am were sliding along the table if you didn't hold on to them. Most days the family I stayed with had porridge for their sweet. At the end of the holiday my suitcase was packed with grapes they gave me as we never had such luxuries. Happy memories!!
Great story johnny! Thanks for sharing.

I remember day trips to Rhyl , and Weston SM
We would get a coach from Etonways on the Coventry Road by our house what an adventure to go on the coach to the seaside a different time then
Yes, I went on several of those trips with my Nan with Andy's Coaches at Stockland Green in the 60s. The trips were run by "The Sons of Rest" who were based at Brookvale Park, where they had a hut with a snooker table. I was the youngest on those trips by some way on most occasions, with most of the day trippers being 60+ (I would now fit the bill nicely ;)). Destinations included Weston, New Brighton, Colwyn Bay, Symonds Yat and Magical Mystery Trips (just like The Beatles:)). My Nan and her friends would always make for Woolworths first.

my first real holiday was with my aunty and uncle at the age of 5. we went to ireland.a cottage on the mourn mountains.we travelled all night by train to the ship.when on board i spent the day on deck looking at the sea at the rear of the ships wake like Titanic. the cottage we stopped at was great, loads of things i learned to ride a bike by putting my foot through the frame,not over it. and rides on a jaunting cart to town.:grinning:

1662638039750.png

:grinning:

Back