• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where was your first holiday?

Many times the event or picture is seemingly of little significance but to us! I
So true. I can vividly remember going home after the Saturday matinees at the Kingston, and jumping up and down and running along on a low brick wall that separated someones frontage from the pavement. Probably annoyed the person living there, but I was Zorro, and invincible.
Andrew.

I REMEMBER OY
So true. I can vividly remember going home after the Saturday matinees at the Kingston, and jumping up and down and running along on a low brick wall that separated someones frontage from the pavement. Probably annoyed the person living there, but I was Zorro, and invincible.
Andrew.
I remember our caravan holiday in Dawlish or Dawlish Warren, we always rented the same caravan. It was white , I even remember the number.The site had putting, and a tennis court and lots of grass. A river ran through with ducks on it and it flooded. I paddled up to my knees, the water was clear. I always took food packages and household items and evented some game with them. I saw things differently. I asked for the 6 pack wrapper of jam tarts, I saw them as eggs! I made a nest under the caravan and put the 'eggs' in. Mad or what?

Andrew.
Always good to dream a little Andrew! If the feature at the matinee was a Robin Hood film I would go home and play bow and arrow at least for the rest of the day.

I REMEMBER OY

I remember our caravan holiday in Dawlish or Dawlish Warren, we always rented the same caravan. It was white , I even remember the number.The site had putting, and a tennis court and lots of grass. A river ran through with ducks on it and it flooded. I paddled up to my knees, the water was clear. I always took food packages and household items and evented some game with them. I saw things differently. I asked for the 6 pack wrapper of jam tarts, I saw them as eggs! I made a nest under the caravan and put the 'eggs' in. Mad or what?
I think Nico like many of us we made do with what we had, pretty creative I thought on your part.

They were red 'eggs'!
I was given some very old wooden children's dominoes, i thought tgey looked like Cotswold stone . I used them as brick shelters in my model farm. I still have them. I don't see many toy farms these days but they still sell them in France.
I had a toy farm and a Massey Harris (toy) tractor and a rake for the hay. The tractor was hand powered and the steering wheel worked.

I would have loved that, the animals were Britains so maybe the farm was . The boy next door had a hay barn & a conveyor belt for grain sacks he powered turning a handle. When we got home from our holidays I would check on my farm, & other toys.

From infancy, all my childhood holidays were in Cornwall, the first I can remember would have been in the early to mid 70s. We were a large family so my sister and I had to travel in the boot of my Dad’s Ford Cortina Mk1 Estate, wedged either side of the camping equipment, any discomfort nullified by the exitement of going on a week’s summer holiday. Every holiday began the same way, in order to avoid the heaviest traffic we would always set out Friday evening just as it was getting dark and drive from Kings Heath, past Longbridge and the Bostin’ Austin to the M5. Then a long, long night time drive down the seemingly endless (every journey beyond 20 minutes is endless when you're little) motorway, the soporific drone of the engine enough perhaps to send mum and my sister off to sleep but not me. I’ve frequently driven that journey myself in well under four hours as an adult but back then it must’ve taken at least double that. Eventually we’d arrive to what seemed like a different country to me with the rolling sea, heather covered cliffs, big skies and the smell of fresh air.
Those summer holidays provided me with my happiest childhood memories and as soon as I had children of my own, I did the same thing with them. Now they’re grown they’ve travelled all over the world but still go down to Cornwall every year.
Cornwall made a happy impression on them by the sounds of it lovely memories.

How many of us went long car joyrneys on holiday on somebody's lap. Or sat on a chair in the back of a van.
Yes!
My uncle who lived in Bournemouth and worked for a TV rental company collected my Dad and me from Birmingham and took us down to the south coast in the back of his small van - we sat on deckchairs in the back :laughing: this of course was back in the day before seat belts were a necessity!

In the 60s my grandad's colleague & his wife sat in the front, his daughter sat on a chair in the back of the van & hung on to the back of their seats.
On my first holiday in Dublin in my teens in the back of a mini van I rolled about in a bucket seat without legs, it had a broken central pivot underneath. When it was his wife's turn he breaked suddenly & she shot out of the back.

Back