• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where was the Homestead Bakeries?

motorman-mike

Brum visitor who stayed.
This view shows the Homestead Bakeries and one of their Commer Walkthru vans. From the van it would probably be in the late 1960's or early 1970's but where is the location please? (This isn't a 'where is this?' cos I don't know where tiz).

Attachments

• Birmingham-Garretts-Green-Hardings-Homestea...[1].jpg
    Birmingham-Garretts-Green-Hardings-Homestea...[1].jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
Mike

It looks like Granby Avenue by the HGV test station, but its not as that was Hardings Bakery. Unless they were bought out by Homestead. It looks like the 70's by the delivery van but I have looked in the 73-74 Kelly's and I can find no Homestead Bakery. Are you sure its Birmingham.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I thought it was Birmingham as it was listed under Birmingham on a German Post Card site but don't know that they got it right.
Mike

Homestead Bakery was the name given to Hardings Bakery when it was taken by Allied Bakers & when the work to build the Swan island subway started the moved to a purpose built bakery for Allied Bakers in Granby Avenue off Garrets Green Lane, and is still in full production to this day.

in the 1970s i remember it being called milanders and that was the site on granby avenue. when i was 14 i used to go over the fence to get my fresh bread until i was caught by the security gaurd who gave me the bread after that,

Wonderful Google Earth does it again .........

lencops is spot on !! ..... Granby Avenue, on Garretts Green Industrial Estate, north-west of Birmingham International Airport. db84124

Bakery_in_Granby_Avenue.jpg

Last edited:
Mike

So it looks like I was right after all, I thought it was familiar after all I drove past the place at least half a dozen times a year on the way to the test station.

Its just that I didn't recognise the name Homestead. Lencops any idea when it was taken over and renamed.

Phil

pmc1947, It would be about circa 1970? and for a few years after, they changed the name of the bread to "Milandas" we had it delivered while we were at work, i have a vague memory that it was delivered by the Midland Counties milkman along with the milk. Len.

Len

Did it go under the name of Homestead for very long, as I have no memory at all of the name and I don't remember the sign at all.

Phil

Its Definitely Garretts green ...Granby avenue....I used to live around there so I know the building well......definite...

Yeah, corner of Granby Ave, in the late 60s we used to call the waste ground behind it the back of kunzles, so I spose it was kunzles at some point

[SIZE=-1]Col-h Kunzles/Scribbins-Kemps Bakery, Was about 1.5 mls from where i live they sold off any cakes left on Saturday night at cheap prices, they said their cakes were only sold fresh, on Monday they would have been stale, the Garret's Green Bakery was approx half a mile from the corner of Sheldon Heath Rd/[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Garret's Green Lane, it was never on or near the corner of Granby Ave, it was a two story building. Len
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Col-h Kunzles/Scribbins-Kemps Bakery, Was about 1.5 mls from where i live they sold off any cakes left on Saturday night at cheap prices, they said their cakes were only sold fresh, on Monday they would have been stale, the Garret's Green Bakery was approx half a mile from the corner of Sheldon Heath Rd/[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Garret's Green Lane, it was never on or near the corner of Granby Ave, it was a two story building. Len[/SIZE]

Corner of Sheldon Heath Rd / Garretss Green La ( College) to Meadway, is approx a mile, Granby Ave is about !/2 Way down......Am I right ?

Couldnt argue with you, and anyway I wasnt all that familiar with the area then, Just went to the college, and actually spent more time in the Chestnutsbut, but am I thinking of the same waste ground ? around the area wher Bristol St Motors is now ? There were roads, but no buildings.......

Thanks to all - Granby Avenue seems to be completely agreed on then. Another location mystery solved by our brilliant Forum members.

Before this thread dies a death, could I point out the interesting addition to the original, purpose-built office block.
Nobody seems to have noticed that the 1970’s photo shows a building of 14 vertical “units”. In the Google Earth shot, the block has been lengthened and there are now 18 units. If one looks carefully at the two photos, the older building finishes with a solid lower floor wall (no window); in the more recent picture, there are four further units beyond the walled lower section. It is definitely the same building and is unquestionably in Granby Avenue.

Its called British Bakerys now, quite a big place, they deliver bread to most of the supermarkets in the midlands from there every day, and to distribution centres all over the country, got a mate who works there.

I was told some time ago that Milanders was a name used for a number of bakeries ie Mothers Pride, Hovis, Wimbush and others. It then became Rank Hovis Mc Dougle. As pionted out by John 70 its now known as British Bakeries.

I have mate who works at the bakery, he buys all the spares to keep it running drive belts etc, he says it is fully air conditioned therefore no opening windows & the air pressure is higher inside than outside with double doors to exit and one department is a giant microwave oven, there is complete cleanliness at all times, the bakery works 24hrs a day. Len.

I had a friend who worked there from 1982 and only left last years i think. His name was alan wakelam.does any one remember right behind the bakery the mcnabs ice cream factory who were in stechford orignally

I’m posting this here as it shows the Harding’s (Royal Steam) Bakery building (right) before it became Homestead Bakery. Did the area in view become Swan Island ? Viv,

4B258EFA-DF0F-4B5A-B04B-52E98CF79532.jpeg

Back