• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where was Ganderton's Yard?

magicmalkin

Brummie babby
My Dad was born: "The Travelling Van,Ganderton's Yard,Coventry Street "in 1918,I'm assuming Sheldon area,his brother Bill(Billy) Malkin went on to live and operate his Antiques business from a house close to where the Wagon&Horses was.

Coventry St is off Digbeth, and still there. On the 1889 OS map and in the directories there is no mention of Ganderton's yard. However thomas Ganderton , cab proprietor was at 66. 67. 68 Coventry St in 1913.I am pretty sure this was the building on the corner of coventry st with Trent st, and so Ganderton's yard would be the area I have marked in blue
Mike
map_c_1889_coventry_sy_around_trent_oxford_sts.jpg

In the 1917 directory there is
Ganderton Thomas, cab proprietor, 66, 67, & 68, Coventry St

in the 1913 directory they are listed as
Ganderton Thomas, cab proprietor, 66, 67, & 68, Coventry St & 114 Rea S

My Dad was born: "The Travelling Van,Ganderton's Yard,Coventry Street "in 1918,I'm assuming Sheldon area,his brother Bill(Billy) Malkin went on to live and operate his Antiques business from a house close to where the Wagon&Horses
Thanks Mike,very impressive! magicmalkin
Hi billy malkin was my grandfather his mother was Annie squires a Romany travelling family they were from around the Hinckley area from what I was told. My grandad married my granny Amy ormrod from a showman’s family they had 3 daughters Gloria my mother yvonne and Lynne the also adopted a boy Kevin. Grandad owned properties all over the place sholihull is where one of his last houses was he had a house keeper called Hilder or Constance he also owned a large peice of land in Bedworth this was the winter quarters for showmen and travelling families which he sold for houses and a ring road we had a small yard with a large static caravan on it for many years until my farther sold it around 1976ish my grandparents separated and once granny amy died grandad married a very nice lady Jean on the Isle of Wight they lived in the old Manor House ventoner he had a brother codge who died in a car accident his son was a famous Rally driver colin malkin a lot of the family were in Bedworth his brother john and sister Mary plus my great grandparents the ormrods. grandad was a very successful antique dealer for many years and used to deal with arthur negas from the tv on a regular basis he is buried on the Isle of Wight and died about 1980 shortly before he passed he bought a farm/land he was a dealer to the end hope this clears a few things up about him

Back