• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where was Blews St West?

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Blews St West was probably redeveloped between 1895 (Kellys 1896) & 1889 (Old Maps), but where was BSW? It was variously described as "top of Lower Camden St" Kellys 1872, "off 132 Lower Camden St" Kellys 1880 & running from "Clissold St to Camden St" Kellys 1896. It is not shown on the 1828 map, so postdates that. At some point the numbers in Camden St changed, so I cannot take maps of say around 1900 as a starting point. I gather there is an 1833 map which shows Heaton House in Camden St, but I do not have a copy of that map.
Alternatively, does anyone know who developed the area?
Any help would be appreciated.
The landlady of the Sir Charles Napier BSW died in 1896, so I do hope it was not the shock of losing here home that was the pivotal factor.

Looking at a up to date map of the area...Blews Street West would have been very close to where Herne Close joined Camden Street, Rosebury Street replace Blews Street......both streets where there in 1897, I think Blews Street was pulled down to make way for a bus garage....I am not 100% sure of that fact.....but I do know that the Aston Villa goal keeper James (Jimmy) Warner lived in Blews Street and worked in the local public houses at that time.....just a note College Street was a cul-de-sac in 1897.....hope this will be of some use to you .....

Thank you, Aston Lad.Thats really interesting. There was indeed a James Warner living in Blews St West.
I have checked the 1889 & 1903 maps again, plus the 1901 census, but none of them show BSW, so it had disappeared by 1889. The "new" roads are in a grid pattern & as BSW linked Camden & Clissold it would have been at odds with the pattern of roads.

Thats great its on an existing map, Aston Lad! I think Kellys must have used an older map rather than updating. Old Maps are so authorative I trust them, but for my purposes the Kellys "1897" would be superb. Is there any chance you could post a scan of the location BSW?

My Kelly's is on a disc, and I have tired to copy and save the map as a jpeg, cannot do either and its too large to post....if anyone has got the 1897 Kelly's maybe they can scan it.....John Houghton had quite a few...maybe he is the man to ask....sorry that I cannot help you by posting the map on here.....I will try again tomorrow to see if I can cut away the area you want to view......

The question was asked, with particular reference to the vine pub a while ago. Below is the reply I posted
Blews St west was not connected to Blews St. You obviously know where Blews St is. Blews St west was renamed Rosebury St between 1897 and 1899 and was off Camden St and Clissold St, although the 1892 Kellys lists it as off All saints St. Possibly Clissold St was once part of All Saints St. It can be seen on the 1890 OS map at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10087&ox=2865&oy=2622&zm=1&czm=1&x=273&y=412

Now according to my Kelly's map....where yours says Blews Street West....on the Kelly's its just Blews Street, ....and on your map where it meets Camdens Street, it is Blews Street West on the Kelly's ??.......

The map on British history online is the OS map from the early to late 1880s (exact date depending on area). It was probably surveyed around 1886-7, would relate to that time. Kellys would probably have updated any name changes, which could explain any difference.

My Kelly's map of 1897 shows both Blews Street and Blews Street West.....???

hi aston lad..there is also a blews st in newtown...its still there just off manchester st...i believe that the globe pub that is on the corner of blews/manchester st is thriving and well worth a visit if only for its original ornate bar carvings...
lyn

hi aston lad..there is also a blews st in newtown...its still there just off manchester st...i believe that the globe pub that is on the corner of blews/manchester st is thriving and well worth a visit if only for its original ornate bar carvings...
lyn

Yes I know....I always thought that the Blews Street in question was the one in Aston....The Globe was the first pub I went into, 15 at the time, me and my mates would play darts, most of the time we were the only customers in there, no wonder the land lord turned a blind eye.....and then we have Blews Street park....I have seen many a lad cut their heads, legs and other parts of their bodies playing football on there, including myself

same here aston lad i did not know about blews st west until recently...i had rellies in 1860/70 in blews street...

lyn

Thank you so much Aston Lad for all your input & to you Mike for the map for the explanation about the name change. This was certainly not a possibility that I had considered. I may know a little more later this week when my gg aunt's death certificate arrives. In the meantime you have given me some new leads, so thats wonderfull.

The pub in this picture is variously described as the Sir Charles Napier Blews St West aka Rosebury St junction Clissold St or Rosebury St junct Camden St - the location of the Vine.
Can anyone clarify whether the property shown here in the photo is the Sir Charles Napier or the Vine, please?Blews St West Sir Charles Napier (2).jpgBlews St West Kellys 1880.JPG

Here are all three pictures of a pub in Blews St West / Rosebury. You will notice one is signed Sir Charles Napier, whilst the other two not. Where there is a sign by the doorway on the right there seems to be a picture of a man. My thanks to Lyn for finding one of these pictures.
Blews St West Sir Charles Napier Winson Green & Brookfields Drake.jpgSir Charles Napier per Lyn.jpgBlews St West Sir Charles Napier.jpg
Are these the Sir Charles Napier or the Vine?

If by a man you mean above the door, then I think this is just their trademark, which I believe appeared on their bottles also (see below). I believe it is the Sir Charles Napier. It is of the same form as on the 1889 map (below) on a corner, and three sources quote it as such. .As to the Vine, this disappeared from the directories around the turn of the century, and the building itself had gone by the OS c 1921 map. From these it is obviously standing long after this.

map_c_1889__rosebury_st__sir_charles_Napier.jpg

atkinsons_brewery_labelA.jpg

shirl i know we have the 2nd pic showing the name of the pub but were unsure as to if it was definately the sir charles napier...i have taken a better look at pic 1 as it is the clearest and you are right the sign above the door does look like a man with large large winged collar...the pub was named after sir charles napier born 1782 and was a general of the british empire...shirl i now think its a true pic of the napier as i cant see a pub called the vine having a pic of a man on the sign above the door...just as extra here is a pic of the man in question..

charles napier b 1782.jpg

oops silly me mike i didnt think that the man on the sign could be the atkinson logo...think i will go and lie down now lol

lyn

Lyn
It was a perfectly reasonable suggestion, but I think i remember seeing some of the old signs in pictures above the pub doors, though can't place one at the moment.

hi guys as i am famiarly with roseby street and clissold street and camden street the pub at the very top of clissold street coming up fromrosbery st and the
passage way from rosebry passage which you entered via george street west into rosbery street the bus garage was abiut two hundred yards up on your right hand of the rd plus colledge rd was facing the bus garage up the hill you had clissold street facing yopu either you turned left at the top of the street there was a walk wayy taking you along the cannal that ran across and was coming and going for coal barges tounload coal ito the coal warf of coopers yard
which was when you turned right along clissold st you would have to pas camden street and new spring streetit was abitof a walk betwen the two rd along clissold street on the corner of clissold street andnewspringstreet was the pub called the royal albert pub with its entrances in new spring st ; which took you down to ickneild street facing warstone lane there was never a blew street down camden street which walzed you down to the parade whih was summer hill
and along from the sandpitts oh i or got to mention when walkiing along clisspold street you would have been at the top of hingestion street
you would pass that beorenew spring street i beleive at one time our maggs on he site was at one time she said if i am correct was friends with the adams family that lived yads from the albert ;or she said she was related its been afew years since i learnt from our brookie girl ;
but there was no blews street there as lyn said doewn and around the globe pub newtown as it was called aston at one time many years ago
at the first call of your request i thought that could not be correct around clissold street ; best wishes astonian

Back