• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where to find out how a street got its name?

Kat7272

master brummie
How could I find out where a Birmingham Street got it's name? Would it mean contacting the council?

I don't think there is a definitive 'means' by which a street is named. I assume, in most cases, it is something agreed between the site Contractor and the LA.

I was told [by his daughter] that Horton Square was named after Ernest Horton, former Mayor.

hi kat do you mean how a street got its name...if so i have the complete collection of carl chinns books although obviously they do not cover every single st or road...if you tell me the name of the street/road it may be in one of my books

lyn

Site contractor and local authority, not that I doubt you for one second, but I would have thought that it wouldn't have included the site contractor at all. I would have hoped it would have been some sort of naming ritual carried out by someone high and mighty!!!!!!

Arh, the Mayor, I see. I just saw the name of the road and wondered why. My relation Freda lived and is buried in Harborne, and as she has an unusual headstone and died in a road accident, I just wondered. I didn't think that Fredas grove was named after her but I just thought I would find out how the Grove got it's name.

Very interesting how these places get their names.

While I am on the subject, I need to find out about the name of a Road in Bristol, where could I find this info? I have asked questions on the forum before about places outside of Birmingham and I have had answers.

Generally the Town Planning Dept of a particular city or town are the best ones to approach on this, Kat, particularly newer streets. I believe that they have to approve them.

Maurice :cool:

Lots of new build estates going up near where I live [not Brum]. There are certainly no reported 'naming ceremonies' conducted by persons 'high and mighty'. Don't forget, as soon as a house is completed, it is sold and occupied, even though the site, in general, might still be under construction. No value in someone being photographed [for the local Newspaper] with mud and machines everywhere.

I know of one Estate [again, not Brum] which was originally an Orchard. No doubt there would have also been a Farmhouse there. The land was sold to a Developer and, as part of the deal, they built her a rather large Bungalow just off the Estate. Her name was Mrs Andrews. The Estate comprises two roads, one of which is called Andrews Drive, and is a cul-de-sac.:confused: Roads named as "Drive's", in my experience, would normally be 'through routes'. The other road, I am assuming, may have been named to commemorate her Mother's Maiden Name.

The Estate in question, although Freehold, came with restrictions in the Deeds imposed by Mrs Andrews. viz, no additional building without [her] permission [e.g. Conservatories]. No parking of caravans on driveways. No building on top of Garages. etc.

However, since she is now 'long past', I'm not sure if these restrictions are currently enforceable.

maurice about 3 years ago new houses were built in villa st where i grew up and after they were finished i had a look around...noticed that the new build is called pearl gardens and button close ..of course i knew straight away how they had been given those names...the houses are built on the site of copes pearl button factory that i remember so well..must say i was chuffed that the planners had done their homework very well and given villa st back a bit of its history although it is still called villa street although all the old houses including mine were all demolished by the 80s...i would imagine that whoever lives in those new houses are still wondering where those names came from...never mind..i know and thats all that matters:D

lyn

For almost 23 years I lived on MOAT LANE Yardley. Now it must mean that there was a caste there at some time, with a Moat around it???

Lots of new build estates going up near where I live [not Brum]. There are certainly no reported 'naming ceremonies' conducted by persons 'high and mighty'. Don't forget, as soon as a house is completed, it is sold and occupied, even though the site, in general, might still be under construction. No value in someone being photographed [for the local Newspaper] with mud and machines everywhere.

I know of one Estate [again, not Brum] which was originally an Orchard. No doubt there would have also been a Farmhouse there. The land was sold to a Developer and, as part of the deal, they built her a rather large Bungalow just off the Estate. Her name was Mrs Andrews. The Estate comprises two roads, one of which is called Andrews Drive, and is a cul-de-sac.:confused: Roads named as "Drive's", in my experience, would normally be 'through routes'. The other road, I am assuming, may have been named to commemorate her Mother's Maiden Name.

The Estate in question, although Freehold, came with restrictions in the Deeds imposed by Mrs Andrews. viz, no additional building without [her] permission [e.g. Conservatories]. No parking of caravans on driveways. No building on top of Garages. etc.

However, since she is now 'long past', I'm not sure if these restrictions are currently enforceable.
No parking of caravans on driveways is almost a standard covenant in lidded in the deeds, as is a ban on commercial vehicles, both of which get ignored.
Bob

For almost 23 years I lived on MOAT LANE Yardley. Now it must mean that there was a caste there at some time, with a Moat around it???
moatln.jpgcov
Well the moat isn't in doubt! The car park of Gilbertstone Recreation ground now occupies the site. Incidentally the North-South footpath to the east of the moat is now the gulley bounding the eastern edge of the recreation ground.

I believe road names nowadays are approved by the local authority and for some strange reason any objections have to be put before a law court. (I have a new estate near me and the council posted up the proposed names. I thought they were a bit daft as they had given the same name to several cul-de-sacs, which is confusing for strangers. I thought it would be better to have more names. Unfortunately one can't just ask the council to reconsider, it needs a full legal procedure before a judge, a step to far for me.)

Lyn,

The Planning Dept will have plans before giving planning permission and I'm pretty sure they will be named on the plans. Since the onset of the postcodes, the Royal Mail don't really care what the place is called as they need a postcode. They stated long ago that there is no longer any requirement to include a county as they don't use it, only the postcode.

Lyn,

The Planning Dept will have plans before giving planning permission and I'm pretty sure they will be named on the plans. Since the onset of the postcodes, the Royal Mail don't really care what the place is called as they need a postcode. They stated long ago that there is no longer any requirement to include a county as they don't use it, only the postcode.

yes thanks maurice...i just thought it a nice gesture using the names pearl and button

lyn

The council is supposed to work with the contractor to discuss names. These then go to the appropriate committee to be agreed - or not. According to info when I Google docs it. There are some rules about names. I suppose that with all the info at one's fingertips today it is relatively easy to find names with a connection to the site.

The council is supposed to work with the contractor to discuss names. These then go to the appropriate committee to be agreed - or not. According to info when I Google docs it. There are some rules about names. I suppose that with all the info at one's fingertips today it is relatively easy to find names with a connection to the site.

i agree jan...should be easy to find these things out these days...a few years ago i noticed a malthouse gardens i think it was off the lozells road..would put a bet on it there was a malthouse nearby...

Back