• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Street Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This extract from a 1902 edition of Building News shows, possibly, a Birmingham building, but I can’t place it. It’s captioned “St Phillips Chambers, Birmingham” but that’s probably the address of the architect. Anyone recognise it ? Looking through the bars to the right side of the left entrance is some wording, possibly “Library “? Source: eBay listed item. Viv.

7AFCD775-486B-4B2E-953A-095A6E3771AB.jpeg

One wou;ld think that it would be somewhere near St Philips. Could not find it in Kellys, but there was a "Cathedral Chambers" on the north side of Temple Row to the left of the Great Western Arcade, which appeared in directories between the 1904 and 1908 editions. Cannot find any appropriate photos of thta though

The left entrance has steps from the footpath but the right entrance does not so the building is on a hill ascending from left to right.

August 1972 article in Birmingham Daily Post mentions Church Street where there is a St. Philips Chambers, by Newton
and Cheadle, built around 1900.

I don't know. That is the building referred to in post #6 and does seem to match. There is some planning applications which include reference to the central door and some alteration to the frontage to aid disabled access but I can't find it referred to as St Philip's Chambers anywhere. Perhaps they didn't use the name?

In the first photo the word "ort..." can be seen. In 1908 Kelly's Directory - no mention of ST Philip's Chambers but the entry for 60 is followed by
1618839319332.png

Great that the building has been identified and it’s still standing. Thanks all.

I think the St Phillips Chambers must refer to the architect’s address, Newton & Cheadle. Viv.

This extract from a 1902 edition of Building News shows, possibly, a Birmingham building, but I can’t place it. It’s captioned “St Phillips Chambers, Birmingham” but that’s probably the address of the architect. Anyone recognise it ? Looking through the bars to the right side of the left entrance is some wording, possibly “Library “? Source: eBay listed item. Viv.

View attachment 156131

It could be that Viv's picture in post 1 from the Building News has the wrong caption. At least they have Cheadle instead of Cheatle.

In the Birmingham Post of 1973 it talks of saving the Buckler and Webb printing house in Church Street, part of the Colmore Estate. Next door is St Philips Chambers also designed by Newton and Cheatle in 1900.

[edited as it should be Church Street, not Queen Street, that led led Janice up the wrong path, apologies. ]

Last edited:
I am working on the assumption that 56 - 60 Newhall Street are the same buildings in all the directories as the buildings in the photo but am confused by a lack of mention of St Philips Chambers.
I can't find a Queen Street in Birmingham - there are 2 listed one in Sparkbrook and one in Smethwick.

Looking at Janice’s directory names, could the words we’ve mentioned behind the railings (burglary and bursary) actually be “Infirmary” Vv.

The Buckler and Web Building is said to be at the corner of Queen St and Cornwall Street.

[rubbish it is Church Street not Queen Street !,! I was in Queer Street]

Last edited:
Looking at Janice’s directory names, could the words we’ve mentioned behind the railings (burglary and bursary) actually be “Infirmary” Vv.
It could but I thought the Infirmary was next to the building housing number 60. i.e the Infirmary had no number.

There are original street numbers on the building. “No.56” is marked above the one entrance and “No.60” is above the other in Newhall Street. Viv.

D518AAE8-673B-4166-9E61-177F7DB50610.jpeg

And been trying to work out what these symbolise, they’re near the eaves of the building. Could just be decorative though. Viv.

C9337E36-C70B-4886-A25E-CF4F0F4EAF87.jpeg

Thanks. That supports the idea from post #11 that we have either misinterpreted the caption or it refers to the architects offices.

Back