• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is this 2007- 2008 queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it Aston shed, pmc?

I'm not familiar with the area, I used to go to Monument Lane shed quite a lot, it was a short walk from the school at Five Ways, got to be known by a few staff there, had a few short footplate rides on engines.

Another which road shot for you.
OTD 301 was a Leyland demonstration bus, borrowed and used by Birmingham City Transport between 1st - 16th December 1952. (Yes, over half a century ago!) Where is this shot of it taken? This has got to be easy, even though I've painted out the bus destination and road name sign.

Lloyd, i think the East exchange was in Witton road by the barracks/depot just up from the billiards hall...Cat

Is it Aston shed, pmc?

I'm not familiar with the area, I used to go to Monument Lane shed quite a lot, it was a short walk from the school at Five Ways, got to be known by a few staff there, had a few short footplate rides on engines.

Lloyd

Aston Sheds is correct, of course.

Phil

Lloyd

Is it the junction of Coleshill Rd & Newport Rd, where the Clock Garage now stands?

Phil

Not there pmc - the bus will go under a low bridge about 1/2 mile after the point where the pic is taken - which is why single deckers were used.

With nearly 500 posts on this thread, I'm locking it for moderation, to reduce the number of posts and to archive it.
If you wish to continue, start another " where is this " on a new thread.

To help with future moderation of thread please try to keep to only one location at a time, and suggest staying within a 25 mile radius of Birmingham.

Colin

Mike, do you think the church tower is St. Alban's the Martyr in the Highgate area. I can't find a picture of it to really see.

Is it a church?. Could it be the big tower that was on the old wholesale markets?

33A__tower_on_meat_market.jpg

There Is Still A Tower Simerlarly Looking Lile That In Digbeth
Still Today , One Is By St Anns , The Other Is The OTHER side In Digbeth
And For The Love , Nor Money I Cannot Think Of The Street
And Its On The Block Down Around Liverpool Street I Can vISULIZWED It As I,m Typeing But Just Cannot Spit The Name

I Think Its In Addererly Street Digbeth Area One OffThose Streets I Mentionened
Between Fazely St , Adderleys St ,The Bottom End Of Bordesley St Which Runs On The Same Block Of New Cannal Street

It does look like the tower in mikejee's photo but there is a bit on the right side in the original. That could be a nearby chimney though. Looking again I think it is a chimney. Astonian could be right.
I can remember seeing a tower like that down Digbeth a couple of years ago

I have looked at the photo under magnification and the buildings opposite the end of the street look like a school to me. I also attach a photo of St Alban's Conybere St Highgate as I don't thinks it is there as suggested by jennyann. I'm afraid that I do not have an alternative to offer at the moment, but I am looking.

Phil

BalsallHeathStAlbansConybereSt-1.jpg

It looks like Cregoe Street or one of the others that used to run up to Bath Row. Could it be St. Thomas' School at the top or St. Asaphs?

I passed this photo on to Rod many moons ago now for the main Astonbrook site...VB used it to advertise the Aston site.....I took it from an book published around 1939ish, but I cannot think of its title and where the book is now....in fact I feel that the book fell apart....I am sure on the photo it stated somewhere in Aston....but I do not think its in the Aston we think of, It has to be an inner city area,,,Small Heath, Bordesley, Nechells, etc....the building at the back of the photo, I think could be a school and not a church....its looks higher due to photograph being shot up hill....still haven't a clue where it is.....

ps...I am sure the book had something to do with Cadburys?, if I remember correctly it was only a few pages thick.
it also appears in a booklet "Our Birmingham" printed 1943

pps "Our Birmingham" was printed for Cadburys DOH!

Last edited:
I've enlarged and enhanced the outlines of the buildings in the mist at the end of the street. Does it help to recognise them?
I wondered if the tower is central hall, Corporation Street.

i everyone, the school i went to in digbeth in flootgate st, was st,michael,s which had a TOWER, IS IT THAT ONE,cheero,, christy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back