• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this ?

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Stitcher posted this photo on the City Centre Photographs thread with the comment “Bull Street and Corporation Street ???”. I can’t place it, can anyone else ? There’s a street sign on the facing wall “...... Lane” I think. Strange that the upper floors of the Burton’s shop seem to have been covered over. Was this WW2 bomb damage ? Viv.

AC053486-CE39-4399-B158-7E336BA5B80A.jpeg

In another thread it can be found that above many, if not all, Burton shops there was a snooker hall.

It looks to me like the corner of Steelhouse Lane and Bull Street ... Lewis's on right of the pic.
With some image editing of just the 'cover' area of the pic there seems to be a word at the top written in uppercase letters.

Last edited:
Phil, It's strange how your mind plays tricks (mine seems to be doing it a lot these days). Until I saw the picture above I thought that the big bird was on the FHW Corner. I was sure I saw it after getting off the 5a from Perry Common and walking up Snow Hill. Ah well - another marble gone. By the way, what is the bird, do you know?

Phil, It's strange how your mind plays tricks (mine seems to be doing it a lot these days). Until I saw the picture above I thought that the big bird was on the FHW Corner. I was sure I saw it after getting off the 5a from Perry Common and walking up Snow Hill. Ah well - another marble gone. By the way, what is the bird, do you know?

Lady P, it's a penguin I believe. Though I don't know why they would choose a penguin, are they reputed to have poor eyesight so in need of spectacles?

1567166982153.png

This another copy of Lyn's photo (Unseen photos thread).
It is possible that a penguin was used as Penguin books (and the bird in the sign is looking at a book) were and still are popular. I believe, in the days fore prolific television, people did read more.

A penguin! All these years I've been trying to decide if it was a rook or a crow. I suppose I can see it as a penguin now but, as you say, can't think why. Thanks Phil, I shall try to find out why.

A penguin! All these years I've been trying to decide if it was a rook or a crow. I suppose I can see it as a penguin now but, as you say, can't think why. Thanks Phil, I shall try to find out why.
It can't be a Penguin as they are black and white with short wings that are like feathered fins.
How about me throwing in that I think it is a Raven reading a Poe horror story.
Nice to see the bus outside The Wimpy Bar. I could be on the top deck on way home from Handsworth Tech. waving to my Mom who was the Managers at Wimpy. Cheers Tim

It can't be a Penguin as they are black and white with short wings that are like feathered fins.
How about me throwing in that I think it is a Raven reading a Poe horror story.
Nice to see the bus outside The Wimpy Bar. I could be on the top deck on way home from Handsworth Tech. waving to my Mom who was the Managers at Wimpy. Cheers Tim

I've always believed it t be a penguin since I was told it was as a child, obviously I am not alone in this thought.

I can understand the belief that is it not a penguin - colours for instance - but it does look more like a penguin that a non sea bird with flippers rather than wings. Besides it seems to have been known generally as a penguin and presumably described as such by Harrisons. Although the photo referred to in post 16 mentions 1946, if this feature was there during the war then their is a possibility white would have been avoided on the sign.

Finally Harrisons and a number of associated comanpies were put into liquidation in 1972. There is no suggestion that the businesses were insolvent, but it was most likely a tidying up exercise following a takeover. All the liquidations were done from the same Coventry Road address.

Maurice

Harrison.jpg

Back