• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where Is This

B

BernardR

Help - I was lead to believe by my late father in law that this showed the upstairs room of a Kings Heath Pub. At least one of the fish was caught by his father who was a member of the Angling Club there. However when I look more closely it is clear that there are a number of items I would not expect to see in a Pub's upstairs room. The two larger clocks could just possibly be prizes as I cannot think why anyone - even a pub - would have two such clocks.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Hi Bernie

Nice photo, it looks a bit like an auction house to me. Or as you suggest it could be end of the season prize giving night.

Phil

Do you know which pub it is.
I think it may be the Caledonian Corks club, I have seen a similar photo somewhere, but can't find it again

Colin

Last edited:
@Phil - That is one possibility I had not considered but could be so. The man concerned was I believe an antique dealer in his later years though a brass worker in his earlier years.

@Colin If it is in a pub then it is one of two on the left hand side of the High Street going to Town but that is all I know. The first being on the corner of York Road.

nice pic bernie....looks to me like some sort of display unit maybe as you say in a pub or club...looks like a keep net set above the fish in the cases...dont think an auction house would go to all that trouble to add a finishing touch like that...be interesting to find out if you can solve this one...

cheers

lyn:)

Some years ago, amatuers were not allowed cash prizes so instead were given tea services , cut glass items , pictures and clocks etc.
This looks like a prize giving occasion, but where I haven't a clue.

:wave:

Landlord was a keen and successful Fisherman & those are some of the prizes he has won over the Season including the Dresser or Sideboard:) One Clue the Clocks are showing the same time. There are also two other clocks underneath I believe

Last edited:
Postie - I think you may have nailed it but still wondering which pub it would have been. That suggestion would explain the number of prints/paintings at the back still with the protective corners on them.

I am thinking 'Hare & Hounds' or the 'Cross Guns' High Street, Kings Heath and though I feel the Hare and Hounds to be most likely (it was the nearest to where the family lived) still not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
bernie would you mind if i posted yer pic in the restoration section and asked if someone could tidy it up a bit...

lyn

bernie would you mind if i posted yer pic in the restoration section and asked if someone could tidy it up a bit...

lyn
Hi Lyn - I have no problems with that but do plan to sort it out myself at some time. The image is at a low resolution for posting on the site so a lot of detail will be missing.

Problem at present is that I think my scanner software and my photo editing software (Paint Shop Pro Photo X2) are arguing with each other.

oh dear bernie...you are getting to technical for me again...:D ok i will do that..you never know we may get a better look at it...

lyn

Back